Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to Autocross ED and what was your experience? ED seems to have all the right attributes that would make for a class winner. Small, light, nimble, RWD with instant torque. None of the drawbacks of an ICE engine or transmission.

Since most Autocross courses around here are usually only 1 minute long with top speeds of up to 50 MPH I think it would do really well. Even the stock tires have decent grip around the city at least. Aside from maybe voiding warranty any drawbacks? You usually have 45 min cool down before your next run and usually only 6 runs per day.

I use to compete in my F-body, but the thought of burning gobs of crude again turns me off. Now imagine ED running around silent and emissions free and beating lots of ICE cars appeal to me :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as it's not an SCCA event - they won't approve the smart for autocrossing. :)
That's a shame, I wonder why? No EV category yet? No matter, as I'm only interested in some local club events. But I think ED in the hands of a good driver that does well in Autocross would change the minds of many people about "slow" EV's in a competitive setting. I know I was intrigued back in the day when an hybrid insight was doing quite well around the course and me in my muscle car fighting to equal his time, which he made look effortlessly in silence.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts