Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend going through a mountain pass, uphill and downhill, the car seems to brake automatically when going around a corner at just over 50km/h or 30-35mph. Just to mention it was a sunny day and the road was dry! Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
This weekend going through a mountain pass, uphill and downhill, the car seems to brake automatically when going around a corner at just over 50km/h or 30-35mph. Just to mention it was a sunny day and the road was dry! Is this normal?
If you are driving it in auto mode then yes it is normal and really annoying, that is why I always drive in manual mode, it does'nt do it in manual mode, the car is actually downshifting so it appears it is braking, why it wants to rev the nuts off itself going downhill, I'll never know :rolleyes:
in conclusion.... drive in manual mode to stop it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was driving in manual, and i wasn't changing gears. It feels as if some "dring aid" is being activated. It only happend in the mountain pass when going uphill and downhill, and only in the corners.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ah, well I don't know then, I suggest you take it to a dealers and explain what is happening as it's a new one on me :confused:

Headless.... shocked to find he does'nt know everything :p

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I love it when I am going 20mph on a road then I go the downhill part. In auto it revs to 4-5K rpm. Until I upshift.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
If you accellerate then let off the gas abruptly (like I did occasionally cresting a hill from a stoplight) the auto mode doesn't want to change you to a higher gear thinking you're not asking to go any faster. It's an odd feeling but easily overcome by applying a little gas pedal or by switching to manual; either method will let you go up a gear.

Perhaps your situation is different but it seems the car needs to have some pedal registering to up-shift.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
That happens to me when I have the snow tires on and they were new....still had the little nubbs on them.... It is the tsp helping you not go out of control. It scarred the hecout of me the first time it did it. it only did it on one off ramt that tilts a bit and is sharp. I think the sensor thought I was sliding. bak was rollomg on those nubs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts