Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
living in the North a remote starter for a car is an awesome investment, I know installing them on manuals is not a good thing but since the smart is an auto manual I was wondering if it's been done and is safe?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
have not heard of one installed yet but agree they can be a real convenient device...

I can already predict a few of the responses but will hold my thoughts until they make their assertions

Once I get my car I will be exploring remote start options also

Yes Virginia... mornings in Texas can be quite cold for old folks with injuries and arthritis

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
This is not a remote starter. But it's suppose to make your car warm at a set time.
> 2 Stationary heater digital timer: Guarantees a warm welcome. The digital timer makes it child’s play to pre-programme the starting time of the stationary heater – another good reason to look forward to getting into your smart fortwo.

From the european accessories list. Maybe worth inquiring...

From www.smart.com

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I do not recall where it is but there is a thread on this and a unit is available to mount on the 450 for remote start. It sould be able to be modified to the 451.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
The dealer in LI, NY is installing them so it can be done.
Yes you too can get 0 mpg and put your car in the severe service category. The seat heaters work great in the cold until the car begins to warm.
karl

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a remote starter for my van and it is not only great for warming the vehicle it also helps melt the ice and snow ahead of time - less scraping needed! I would love it in my Smart.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Yes you too can get 0 mpg and put your car in the severe service category. The seat heaters work great in the cold until the car begins to warm.
karl
Hehehe, I love it. 0mpg. Kinda defeats the purpose, but I guess if it's real important then so be it. I lived in Ottawa for a few months (winter 94, anyone?) so I fully understand a cold car at 6am.

Thing is, the 3 cylinder machine puts out so little energy that it takes a good 10 minutes to heat up at idle (0.25 GPH). Put it in gear, and it warms up the same amount in 2 minutes (1.0-2.0 GPH depending on hills, etc). Gas is what's creating that heat, so if anyone has the choice, start the drive consuming more gas (lower than usual gear, 2500-3000RPMs) for two minutes if you need the personal heat. Chances are you'll be loosening up the transmission at the same time and have more net power and better shifting sooner in the drive.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have a remote starter for my van and it is not only great for warming the vehicle it also helps melt the ice and snow ahead of time - less scraping needed! I would love it in my Smart.
For the same reason as in my last post (low fuel consumption) it'll take you 20 mins at full blast to get ice off the windshield. There's a video here of some guy at a dealership whacking the shizzle out of ice on a Smart and it was after 20 minutes of idling. It got some people in an uproar, quite amusing if you can find the thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts