Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is getting frustrating. The first year the automatic wipers seem to work correctly and I would normally leave them on all time without fail. But last several months, they have become erratic. Light rain, they work correctly and then just start going faster and faster to the point I have to shut them off and let it reset. But it keeps happening all the time. I'm missing just a simple delayed wipers other cars as this auto feature become unstable. I have noticed that they DON'T turn down the wipe speed any longer. Just increments of faster even when the misting has stopped. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yea... i've noticed that for a while. Sometimes they'll be going full tilt when there's just a light rain. Others they won't wipe once for MILES even though it's nearly a downpour.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The original wipers on my C451 had a slightly unusual length. Maybe 1/2 inch or so. I kept the original because of this. Could be an aftermarket slightly shorter blade partially swiping the sensor.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Pretty sure the 451 had one wiper blade slightly shorter than the other to prevent any potential chance of them catching on each other as they moved, since they both wiped opposite directions towards each pillar. still, can't see how even just partially swiping the sensor would be the cause of erratic behavior. Maybe for the times where it seems to go full speed when it's nowhere near required (which on my 453, I never have the sensitivity any higher than the minimum, and it still does it on fairly regular occasion), but it wouldn't explain the times where the view out my windshield looks like a Salvador Dali art piece, yet the wipers don't budge.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
It was also slightly longer, at least on one side, than the average whole inch measured wiper, or slightly shorter than the next inch up, IIRC.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Just replaced the wipers on my 2012 Passion. Beam type, 21 and 22 inches, (Rain-X brand).

Posted from Android using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
This is getting frustrating. The first year the automatic wipers seem to work correctly and I would normally leave them on all time without fail. But last several months, they have become erratic. Light rain, they work correctly and then just start going faster and faster to the point I have to shut them off and let it reset. But it keeps happening all the time. I'm missing just a simple delayed wipers other cars as this auto feature become unstable. I have noticed that they DON'T turn down the wipe speed any longer. Just increments of faster even when the misting has stopped. Any suggestions?
Check the front of the windshield sensor. May have dirt or smudges that is tricking the feature.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I had kept the old ones with the rest of my spare blades, and I just went to measure them. 23 1/8" and 21 1/8". I think I was wondering why aftermarket companies list one an inch off....

·
Registered
883 Posts
I had kept the old ones with the rest of my spare blades, and I just went to measure them. 23 1/8" and 21 1/8". I think I was wondering why aftermarket companies list one an inch off....
The 21 and 22 inch do the job.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 21 and 22 inch do the job.

It's good to know what length works. I bought a used 14ED earlier this year and the first time I used the wipers I noticed the drivers side is a lot longer than the passenger side. When fully extended, the tip is almost off the windshield. I'm going to measure it when I have a chance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts