Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
never gave it much thought.normally you don't even hear them unless there is a problem then they make themselves known. replacing one or even getting to it is not a simple task. requires complete front end removal. Stock setup does a great job unless you are towing a cabin cruiser or stuck in traffic and it is 120 degrees out. I doubt if an aux fan would help move any more air since the stock fan is electric anyhow.

If you get to the point where the temp light comes on, it is already too late Anything over 220 and I take actions to cool things down. I have scangaugeII setup to monitor temps and it has always worked well, plus have the advantage of being able to check codes as they come up too.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The fan motor is located behind the radiator and the wiring to it is behind the front end. to get to the wiring, the easiest way is to remove the front end. To get to the fan, the front end and the front mount for the front end that holds the radiator and condenser needs to be removed. I believe it is about a 10 hour job I was told.

On my 2009, the mounting bracket for the fan motor broke and I opted to disconnect it and use a pusher fan in front of the radiator, leaving the old one in place. I wired it to the old fan wires so it would activate with the stock circuitry. Worked great, no problems for 3 years until I sold the car.
Since, There have been 3 or 4 others doing the same method rather than replace the stock setup Have not heard of any problems

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I replaced the fan in my 2009 with an OEM unit and it took a while but not too difficult. If you need another frame, fan, etc. I've got one. The motor was not working so can't tell if it is brushless, it was falling apart internally, lots of black debris.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I will be replacing the header soon on my 2008, had a run in with a deer.... cooling fan still works...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts