Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the factory unit scares me in that it uses brushes and does not cover the radiator in size. I was wondering if anyone has installed a Flexlite fan (or other make) and is brushless. When it cuts on it will cool more surface and in quicker time. I had these on my performance V8's and they work great. If you did what size and do you have a part number. I don't even know the size of the radiator.

thanks for any input

·
Registered
26 Posts
It does not bother me being in the UK, as it does not get that hot enough most days, for the fan to come on, except for being in a slow moving queue, where it will hunt on and off with the thermostat. There is more chance of a thermostat failure than fan failure in the lifetime of the car. (Unless you have constant fan use in really hot climates, like Texas, etc).

·
Registered
374 Posts
I kind of agree... Mine seems to keep cool enough, just by not being in "Stop & Go" traffic... ;
But if you want to put one in: please let us know how it works out for you. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
I would say to go with a temp gauge so you can monitor the temp. I believe some of the units that plug into the OBDII port can be configured to sound an alarm when the car is getting too warm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2008 Passion with 160 K miles and I monitor my temp via an app called Torque. My temp varies under normal operations from 164 to 206 degrees F. This is a big swing and when it reaches 204-206 it immediately drops to 164-170 and rises steady back to the higher temp. Is this normal with other smarts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts