Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to get an Ipod so I thought i would see how the Aux Input plug in the glove compartment worked. So using an old portable radio with an earplug socket and a cable with the right sixe plug for the radio and aux input,
I tried plugging it in.
At first nothing happened and I fooled around with the radio controls to get it to select the input from the radio.
Then suddenly all hell broke loose. The warning lights on the dash all came on and the radio turned off.
I immediately disconnected the aux input but someng is broken in the system.

Now when I turn on the key the following lights come on and stay on Oil, battery, ESP,EPS,Engine, and ABS .

I tried disconnecting the battery to see if a reboot would help but that seemed to not have any effect.

I looked in the manual to see if there was a fuse for the aux input or the radio but I don't see any listed.

Help!

John

·
Registered
624 Posts
There is no 'fuse' for the AUX plug. it goes from the glove box to the back of the radio. I don't understand what happened but I'd get the dealer to check.

·
Super Moderator
29,155 Posts
Not an electronics expert, etc., but depending on the age of this "old" radio the earphone output may have been too high for the aux input on the radio. Don't know why that would light up the dash so it's probably the RF theory. :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
If I would have the same problem, I would take it to the dealer and not mention anything about "old radio"...........

·
Registered
861 Posts
yeah but it still shouldnt matter, it's not an ipod input. it's just an aux input meaning you should be able to plug in any mp3, cd, radio etc. into it. but i wouldn't mention it either..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't be dishonest!

Why should a person lie to a dealer about having plugged an unauthorized appliance into the auxiliary plug? The resulting problem wasn't the fault of Smart, the dealer but due only to your actions. We've got a society full of dishonest people now we don't need any more!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aux input

yeah but it still shouldnt matter, it's not an ipod input. it's just an aux input meaning you should be able to plug in any mp3, cd, radio etc. into it. but i wouldn't mention it either..
I will just call it an "audio device"

This may be a dumb question, but can you tell by looking if a smart fuse is blown without removing it. I did find that fuse 15 was listed as "audio" but I pulled it and it seemed fine. But anyway It seems like something besides the radio has been "blown" since the radio still works.

Dunerunner mentioned something about a "unshielded RF modulator". What kind of damage would that cause?

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and arrange for a service call. I am 30+ miles from the dealer but I guess that is not unusual.

John

·
Registered
861 Posts
its an Aux input, you should be able to plug in a radio with and earphone jack...I would say it's not his fault and what makes the radio "unauthorized"?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Let your service manager know; I think it's ok because I agree with curtis. You should be able to plug anything (you know what I mean).

Beside, I don't remember reading about prohebiting the use of an "old" radio.

Just say "I plug a old radio in, and the car went crazy". I'm sure the service manager would take care of you.

Peace:D

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'd just tell the truth like Jthomas said, he plugged in an audio device. That is the absolute truth so help me god.

·
Registered
274 Posts
its an Aux input, you should be able to plug in a radio with and earphone jack
No you shouldn't, it would over power it and burn it out. Aux level is much lower, similar to a preamp level. For one the impedance would be different. However without seeing what was used and how it was used who knows what really happened. I would think that the owners manual should list some sort of specs. The bottom line is that the aux input was not happy with what it saw ;)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The manual (p. 144) says:

"You can connect mobile audio devices such as an MP3 player via smart MP3 interface* (AUX-socket*) using a commercially available 3.5 mm socket plug."

That's all it says. There's no prohibition on "old" radios, whatever that means.

There are only two elements in that sentence that you need to meet (aside from using the AUX-socket, which you plainly did): (1) your radio has to be a "mobile audio device" (i.e., portable rather than a home stereo), and (2) you used a "commercially available 3.5 mm socket plug" (as opposed to some plug/wire you kludged together). The "such as an MP3 player" qualifier does not limit your choices to only MP3 players, so you're radio is still okay so far.

As long as you met both of the above requirements, I don't see why you need to lie or be silent about it. Tell them the truth; you'll feel better, and perhaps smart will learn something about this that they didn't know before. For example, maybe there's an previously unknown design flaw with the radio.

Which brings up a separate but possibly related point. If I recall, someone pointed out in an earlier thread that smart warns against using cellphones in the smart. Most readers brushed this off as a typical CYA disclaimer. However, your experience and the comment on unfiltered RF modulators suggests to me that maybe the smart radio is sensitive to other radio transmissions. I still don't see a problem with you mentioning your old radio, since smart's warning covered cellphones and said nothing about using old portable radios in the car.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't see why you need to lie or be silent about it.
I don't see him as outright lying. Remember this is HIS money that you are so easily spending here. If he doesn't tell the dealership exactly what they want to hear, then they will not cover this under warranty. What happened - happened, it's spilled milk. His main concern now should be to get it repaired under warranty and to learn from the experience ;)

The "such as an MP3 player" qualifier does not limit your choices to only MP3 players, so you're radio is still okay so far.
The manual clearly states "such as an MP3 player via smart MP3 interface" (iPod, zune, etc.) so that would all depend on if his 'old radio' can play MP3's or not. From the way he described it I doubt it can. He can always call a different dealer and have then specifically explain what is meant by "mobile audio device" and take it from there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can bus

If you guys knew how heavily can-bussed this car is you would freak out. Almost everything except the radio is tied into one of several CAN (Control Area Network) data buses.

I concur with the assessment that plugging in an old radio (which was ill-advised) caused RF havoc. And no, I can't explain why that would happen, but it did. Don't try that again, just plug in your iPod next time. Although something tells me anyone who had an old transistor radio lying around isn't quite at the iPod evolutionary stage yet.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
No you shouldn't, it would over power it and burn it out. Aux level is much lower, similar to a preamp level. For one the impedance would be different.
You are aware that an iPod, Zune, Sansa, or the other myriad of MP3 players utilize the (amplified) headphone out jack for connection to this, correct?

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Aux input is a line-in, so while it can handle some higher volume levels, there is a limit at which it would be getting too much power and potentially damage something. It may be this old radio could go SUPER loud and it was at its loudest setting when it got plugged in?

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
You are aware that an iPod, Zune, Sansa, or the other myriad of MP3 players utilize the (amplified) headphone out jack for connection to this, correct?
When I plug in my iPod/iPhone, I have to set it to its highest volume to get enough gain. Granted, I've limited the device's output to shield my ears when using a headset.
Note that the device "remembers" what was the output setting the last time I plugged something to it. Therefor, when I use the headset after I've used the device in the car, I have to remember to lower the level, otherwise it is way too hot.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I suspect a simple coincedence of this...

The aux in line goes to only ONE place: the inputs on the back of the radio...period

The out put of the OLD radio source earphone / speaker jack is high level AF ( Audio Frequency) and should NOT cause this concedental weirdness IMO

IF this is NOT coincedence I suspect this:

The external source (old radio) had volume way up
The radio 9/10 high impedance 100~600ohm input section does not have a blocking diode or filter
The source signal some how over loaded the radio circuitry and fed back out on the CAN buss line B to the SAM unit and latched the warning light circuits...

NO matter how this happend I think the SAM is confused or damaged and will need replaced or all codes cleared and re-set by a dealer computer

1 - 20 of 44 Posts