Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Belkin 3.5 jack cable to hook up my Ipod nano to my Smart Passion to be able to listen to my music. Connected it to ipod and the jack in the glove box. Turned on the radio system in the car and pushed the button to AUX No sound coming out through the car speakers. I know the nano is on, the song is selected and "playing" Am I missing a step here somewhere? The volume is up, I checked that. Any ideas what could be wrong?:(

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Could be the jack is not plugged into the radio in back(??)

I have bought defective cables from Belkin before.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I use a Sansa mp3 player, but I hooked it up the same way and it works fine. I did discover that it works best if you have the volume on the mp3 player at "max", then adjust radio volume to taste.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I would suspect the connection at the back of the radio where the "AUX" plugs in.
Has been an issue with others.
Have your smart center check it out.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Even if the AUX jack were unconnected, after that problem is fixed the OP's music will still sound better plugged into the Tuneflex then to the aux jack instead of directly to the aux jack. IMO; I've tried them both, and the tuneflex sounds way better. For $6 on eBay, it's an easy choice (for me anyways).

·
Registered
656 Posts
belkin NEVER works for us EVER!

return the belkin.
get something else.

turn the volume all the way DOWN on the stereo,
turn the volume all the way UP on the nano, THEN and only THEn turn the volume UP on the stereo, other wise you'll blow out your ear drums.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Don't you still have to buy a extra FM transmitter with the Griffin Tune flex model? The one showing look like it charges the ipod only, and the sound still goes thought the aux.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
For the iPhone or iPod connected via a 3.5 jack to "aux" I suggest that once the connection has been verified it's better to lower the device's output level to 3/4 to conserve its battery...
In any case, no potentiometer should be set to the max because that may saturate the audio signal and/or increase the inherent background hiss/hum. :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
For the iPhone or iPod connected via a 3.5 jack to "aux" I suggest that once the connection has been verified it's better to lower the device's output level to 3/4 to conserve its battery...
In any case, no potentiometer should be set to the max because that may saturate the audio signal and/or increase the inherent background hiss/hum. :)
+1, that's what I was thinking, in less technical terms. It's never good to max out the volume on anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, it works now. The volume was the problem. Thought I had the nano volume all the way up, but just set it to Maximum. The actual volume setting was low. The nano is new to me so I was unfamiliar with some of the settings. Thanks Stella 503 about how to regulate the volume. I know what you mean. Seems when I go to listen to my CD's and have had the radio on previous, the volume that comes on when you go to the CD will blast you out. It's rather annoying.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
The iPhone or iPod will usually "remember" how the level was set last time an accessory was plugged in, i.e. pretty low when last used with earphones, too low to work properly with the "aux" input of the smart's radio.

But, as mentioned above, at first set all levels to the minimum and gradually increase. That way you won't burst any component.

Also, as said before, don't use any component "all the way up", that's where the system gets overloaded. :)

Like any meal, at first go easy with the salt... :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
OK, it works now. The volume was the problem. Thought I had the nano volume all the way up, but just set it to Maximum. The actual volume setting was low. The nano is new to me so I was unfamiliar with some of the settings. Thanks Stella 503 about how to regulate the volume. I know what you mean. Seems when I go to listen to my CD's and have had the radio on previous, the volume that comes on when you go to the CD will blast you out. It's rather annoying.
you are so welcome !!

do me a favor and play some Rod Stewart for me ok !!
his older stuff not that old music re done stuff.
play some hand bags and glad rags, some maggie may, some mandolin wind!!

i'm glad you got it to work.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Don't you still have to buy a extra FM transmitter with the Griffin Tune flex model? The one showing look like it charges the ipod only, and the sound still goes thought the aux.
There's no extra FM transmitter needed with the Tuneflex (if it did need one, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to you). You plug in your Nano into the iPod connector, plug the unit into the lighter socket, then plug in the 3.5 mm cord into the Tuneflex and the other end into the smart's aux input jack. The Tuneflex will send the clearer signal from the iPod connector through the smart's aux input jack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts