Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a 2008 Smart Cabrio with 18k miles on it tomorrow from a dealer in the Houston area. I'm curious if all Smarts have auxillary jacks or is that something that only certain models had?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'm so pumped to get my Smart and wanted to pick up an auxillary cable to use with my iPod so that when I pick up the vehicle and drive it 3 hours home, I can be rocking out to my music.

Any other good tips for first-timers?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thank you! I'm so pumped to get my Smart and wanted to pick up an auxillary cable to use with my iPod so that when I pick up the vehicle and drive it 3 hours home, I can be rocking out to my music.

Any other good tips for first-timers?
The audio input is on the left side of the glovebox wall inside the glovebox. You press the CD/Radio/Aux button until it says AUX, uselessly, where the CLOCK readout should have been.

Mine worked, briefly, until the warranty ran out. Then, it started to get more and more distorted until its left channel became inop when the leaking capacitor inline with the jack or its preamps, finally blew the opamp inside the secret radio and became useless.

Don't plug anything into the jack and go to AUX with the radio on. Turn the volume control and listen for a thumping noise every time the volume control clicks. That's the first indication of the problem. Might want to try that before signing the contract. Replacement radios are expensive.

The 9 and 10 radios are made by a US company called Visteon, that also makes all the OEM Ford radios/players. When asked for a schematic and parts locator, I was told that was secret and proprietary information of Visteon and they wouldn't send me any information. I'm a highly skilled electronic technician with over 45 years of experience with a shop, but can get no information to help me fix this Visteon crap. It's still broken. I gave up.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
[...]Don't plug anything into the jack and go to AUX with the radio on. Turn the volume control and listen for a thumping noise every time the volume control clicks. That's the first indication of the problem. Might want to try that before signing the contract. Replacement radios are expensive.[...]
I'm gonna store that little bit of info in the ol' memory bank. Good to know, coming from an electrically-inclined individual. Thank you!

I also wanted to note that should something ever go wrong (to Larry, to the OP, or anyone) the Marketplace always seems to contain a few members selling factory Smart radios, and eBay (or other outlets) are rarely short on radios. I picked up a Radio 10 from a very generous fellow-user on here for $100. :)

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Funny, I have been using my MP3 player occasionally since I got my car in 2009, and with almost 80,000 miles on the odometer, My Pure with the radio 9 has not had an issue, except for a worn out aux cable that I replaced with an aftermarket one. maybe it is the operator??

You have to use the controls on the Ipod/MP3 player as it is an audio input to the radio, and it does not charge the device. The plug you will need goes from the headphone on the Ipod to the radio input plug.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The 9 and 10 radios are made by a US company called Visteon, that also makes all the OEM Ford radios/players. When asked for a schematic and parts locator, I was told that was secret and proprietary information of Visteon and they wouldn't send me any information. I'm a highly skilled electronic technician with over 45 years of experience with a shop, but can get no information to help me fix this Visteon crap. It's still broken. I gave up.
You're not going to get anything from any OEM or aftermarket manufacturer. You don't work for them, you aren't qualified in their eyes to work on the product, regardless of your credentials.

Spend $150 on a Pioneer and install kit and enjoy a superior product.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i leave my ipod plugged in 24/7 i even have it on while i listen to the radio so i can switch it from the radio to the ipod or vice versa if i don't like what's on! No problems 33,000 miles and counting......

·
Super Moderator
29,352 Posts
Amen! Maybe a bad cable or a bad radio, but we've had three smarts now (2 with radio 10s, one with the entryline radio) and the aux/usb inputs always had/have players plugged into them when the radio starts up. No thumps so far and everything works as advertised. YMMV. :)

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
4+ years of daily use with my iPod with no problems. Mine is plugged into the AUX port via a Drive+Play unit to let me see a "mirror" of the iPod screen and have a dash mounted "click wheel" control so I could pick songs, playlists and such on the iPod while it sits in it's cubby. FWIW, it's a simple and cheap solution and these version one units (made by Harmon karden) can be purchased on eBay for under $20.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Original poster should be aware that in the extremely unlikely event that an iPod Integration Kit for smart by Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America has been installed in a 2008 car that had the jack in the glovebox from factory, the jack will still be there but the jack itself will be disabled.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I could be wrong, but if my memory serves me right, the jack had to be activated thru the menu to work...but then that was almost four years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts