Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tax is easy to calculate, registration, and the various accessories I'm interested in too. What other charges and how much (ruffly), should I be aware of that will alter the bottom line?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
bump

so out of curiousity i'm scanning the web to see what amounts are charged for destination charges on vehicals... seems the dollar amounts are over $500, gee I'd hate to see a destination charge of $1000 or higher (would $2000 be too high?)

(for some odd reason I was hoping to see something around $200 +/- ha!)

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's absurd, considering the fact that they are able to place two and a half vehicles in the place of one larger vehicle on the trailer. If anything it should cost less than the average vehicle.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I'd look to see what the charge is for the smallest M-B in your local area. They are landed in the U.S. in the same place - Dundalk (Baltimore), MD.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
So we East Coasters should be paying alot less destination charges then.
Yeah, on a car hauler that holds maybe 10 cars of normal size there would be at least 20 Smarts so the charge really shouldn't be too bad. Let's hope that open end doesn't become a ripoff.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I don't know how many hold-down locations a standard car trailer has, and if they can increase the number. Maybe all it takes is more lashing gear.

Another thing that has been in the back of my mind, and in consideration of specific vehicles going to specific dealers (rather than just a slug of lot stock), is the possiblity of all smarts going to Michigan to a smart controlled marshalling and distribution center, where they can be forwarded to the proper dealer. Somewhere in the dark of time I recall a statement that all smarts would be initially titled in Michigan.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I don't know how many hold-down locations a standard car trailer has, and if they can increase the number. Maybe all it takes is more lashing gear.

Another thing that has been in the back of my mind, and in consideration of specific vehicles going to specific dealers (rather than just a slug of lot stock), is the possiblity of all smarts going to Michigan to a smart controlled marshalling and distribution center, where they can be forwarded to the proper dealer. Somewhere in the dark of time I recall a statement that all smarts would be initially titled in Michigan.
Cars aren't titled until they are sold to the first retail customer (that's what dealer plates are all about), otherwise whoever titles them will be subject to sales tax. A second sales tax would then be charged when the title is transferred to the first retail owner.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Destination charge is the amount the automaker charges the dealer to deliver a new vehicle from the factory. This charge can vary among automakers as well as among different vehicles. In most cases the destination charge for a given vehicle is the same to any point in the United States, whether the car has to travel across town to a dealer in Detroit, or across the continent to a dealer in Los Angeles. Since it is a fixed, unavoidable cost to a dealer, destination charges seldom can be negotiated.

·
Registered
517 Posts
We should have a better idea on what changes will be come late December or January. As of last month, my dealer didn't know - but I plan to find out and share once I do.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just paid $645 for destination charge in Tysons Corner, VA about a couple hours away (due to traffic). The sales guy said that they get 8 cars on a covered transporter.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
I'm wrong about that

no. not possible. every person who buys a 2008 Smart car in the US pays the same "destination charge" of $645. does not matter if it is delivered in FL, NY or CA, the fee is the same.
You are right. $50 was the doc fee. :eek:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Everyone will pay $645 destination fee
The documentation fees vary
What is anything worth...
We love our little car and find it worth the cost of ownership. works like a charm for me. karl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts