Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Had an experience yesterday too.
We were in the right lane on a 3 lane major city road moving about 30mph. I needed to make a left about a quarter mile away. Since there was no car in the center lane and all looked clear, I tapped the turn signal and moved into the center lane.
As I got into the center lane I could see in my driver's side mirror a Cadillac wanting to share the same space.:eek: I hit the kickdown and accelerated with gusto to get out of this mess. We obviously would have been spun around if we would have touched.
I realized then if the smart would have been a little longer this would have been the case. That was 30 seconds of cold sweat for sure. My wife never knew about how close this was. I don't drive in manual often in heavy traffic and I can appreciate the lower gear change, albeit with a slight delay- not unlike some turbos.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wife tells me that I pull too closely to the car in front. Now I will know to keep some space just in case.
I learned by experience. Houston traffic is terrible, and more than once, I've gotten too close. Then the car in front doesn't move, the flashers go on, and I'm stuck.

That couple of extra feet helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good option to have! My daily commuter is a Honda Goldwing which is just barely smarter than our Passion. I've pulled that twice. Once the guy stopped. The other time had the same results as you.

Both times cell phones involved...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Glad to hear your ok:) It was definately a godsend that you were aware of your surroundings! I love my smart and never want to see it in an accident or be in it when it gets in one..

I'd assume that it was natural, as you should always be aware of everything around you. :D

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Well, I didn't get so lucky yesterday. Heading to a Dentist appointment, and an INDOT truck lost a highway sign out the back, and I couldn't avoid it. $1700 in damages down the entire side of the smart. Man does that suck!!!

And here is the offending sign:

The really bad thing about it is, since it was INDOT, I have to file a tort claim with the state, it could take months to get my money. Luckily, it's all cosmetic, the tridion has a nice size dent in it, but the rest is replacing body panels. I probably won't get it fixed until the state ponies up the dough.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
One positive thing about your mishap is you can do most of the fixing yourself with new body panels. Glad you're OK

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If my wife and I were driving a normal size car this summer at the Denver nationals we wouldn't be here today. We were coming around a left curve coming back from Estes Park on highway 36 when a black suv with a blonde on the cellphone had over half of her vehicle in our lane coming the other way:eek:. No guardrail, steep drop off, we almost slapped mirrors except mine were lower. Definitely got my attention, thank God the smart is small, a larger car would have been a head on for sure.:D Chumly

·
Registered
763 Posts
Always watch my 6. I've been rearended in a Toyota Rav 4 three times and a Volkswagen Rabbit once. Now that I'm "little" I watch even closer. On one of the collisions in the Rav, the body shop told me that if I hadn't had a trailer hitch, the damage would have been double or more. Said they had a similar small SUV in and the floor pan in the rear rolled up like the lid of a sardine can. I had an Eagle Summit which I sold and the buyer told me a couple of weeks later he figured out why I had a trailer hitch - he got rear ended and had almost zero damage (but not the guy who hit him). In the absence of a trailer hitch to reinforce the rear end, I count on vigilance and agility.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
This past Friday, twice within 5 minutes on the same road I was almost clipped by two different drivers for the same reason...

They were too busy doing everything but driving to notice that traffic was almost at a standstill because of construction on a main road here.

It is 2 lanes divided going both ways, but 35mph because it's in the middle of the city. I'm in the left lane, and twice I had to hug the curb to my side because the skidding cars in the right lane did the same thing - come half in to my lane rather than hit the car in front of them.

The only reason I didn't get sideswiped is because the Smart leaves half the lane empty when hugging the curb! :rolleyes: What would others do if I weren't so considerate of their need for space in their road hogs?

-----

That's the reason for bumper #3 of 4 on the Saturn. In the middle of Winter, a little girly girl in an SUV on a learner's permit skidded in to my lane rather than rear-end the car in front of her - again on that same road.

I hate people sometimes. :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Looked in the mirror the other day and saw a car (big brother MB) approaching and saw the driver not only look down to text but he put on his reading glasses to do so. At the light, I started up very slowly and then pulled away. Did it again at the next light, but prolonged the slow pull away and he got the message and changed lanes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sitting in traffic at a red light, in the center lane on Tuesday afternoon. I looked in my rear view and saw a guy coming up on me. Nose in his cell phone, and not slowing down.

I hit the gas, and me & Bob shot between the cars ahead of me. I had enough room to squeeze between the lanes. Everyone gave me a dirty look until WHAM!!!! This guy piled into the SUV that I had been behind. He was doing well above 40mph, and never hit the brakes.

After the impact, 2 guys behind moved by and gave me the "thumbs up".

It was my lucky day.
Wow that is exactly what happened to me last year. I had a Nissan Versa for 3 years until I was coming home from my stepson's birthday party, and got rear ended at a red light by a early 2000s Honda Pilot. He was going 40mph exiting a highway ramp, but he never stopped. When he got out, he felt "so bad" there were children in the backseat. His eyes looked high/drunk, but the police never questioned whether he was under influence or texting and driving. The Versa was totaled, but we all walked out without a scratch. Ever since then, I constantly check my rear view mirror too.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts