Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gary,
I hereby nominate you for the smart car Award of Merit for your selfless promotion of smart car events and specifically Outsmarting The Dragon for the past three years.

Very few owners have any idea of the time, effort and dollars required to organize and promote a multi-day event much less to maintain such an event for a three year period making improvements each year.

Very few also understand or think about the fact there is no return to you for this effort other than the enjoyment and thanks of the owners who attend the event.

You stepped up early on, assumed personal risk, invested time and money in an event in a very rural area far from your home and you made it work and always kept your focus simply on the happiness of your guests at the event.

You are to be commended and you have my sincere appreciation and thanks for all you have done on behalf of the smart car community for more than 3 years.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I wish I went, but fully understanding how much time and effort it takes to pull something this big off, especially for no money in return but pure enjoyment, I would nominate Gary and Arrita for co-awards of merit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes, thank you again, for such an outstanding ralley. This was my third
year in attendance and even though there were fewer cars, it was by
far the most fun. It was my wifes first and she can't wait to attend
next years event.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Once again, great job Gary & Rita. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! (cough cough). It'll be hard to top your prior work. :)

·
5,297 Posts
Once again, great job Gary & Rita. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! (cough cough). It'll be hard to top your prior work. :)
Appears this thread was started for recognizing Gary and I will humbly bow out of his way and his credits; he has done a great job over the past three years and has set some new standards and expectations for smart owner events.

Remember: The Dragon event has new leadership for next year of which I am not part of.

I, too, appreciate and enjoy the support and camaraderie of the smart owners at all the events, large or small.

My thanks goes to all the owners for supporting the brand, whether they attend the events or not. :)

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Ah, GetSmrt28277 - don't be so quick to yield the floor - you have been there every year, helping out as much as possible, and behind the scenes, maintaining a relationship with the mother ship. Your investment of time, energy and even money is not to be ignored or downplayed, and though I have passed the baton to others that would like to keep things going (and improve upon my meager efforts), I doubt that your efforts have come to an end, one way or another.

And while I will accept the homage, especially from someone like Ken, I gotta say, in all truthfullness - you can throw all the parties you like, but if no one shows up, you just have a lot of expensive leftovers to deal with. And considering that it isn't just western NC and eastern TN (and northern Ga) folks coming to the event, it makes it even more special.

I can only hope that we can get MBUSA to give us the help we need to get the word out, to make more and larger events possible. While you can (apparently) put a price on customer relations, you can't put a price on the friendship found and given at these events.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It was a terrific event, and you guys did a great job.

Even though it will be "under new management" next year, I hope you come and just play.

Jill

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Both Gary AND Aritta deserve awards of merit. Not only did they orchestrate a great event, they put up with all of us crazies!!!
Great job, well done..........:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
What's going on? :confused::eek:

You have to be there to understand!:wink:

I have run the Dragon event for three years, and am handing it off to others with more energy and some fresh ideas.

But not to fear - Monday after the event, my wonderful wife and I met with a realtor, and we have found a property in the area that is of interest to us for retirement. So who knows? If my 401k doesn't turn into .0401, I may be able to become a local up there in a few years...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, GetSmrt28277 - don't be so quick to yield the floor - you have been there every year, helping out as much as possible, and behind the scenes, maintaining a relationship with the mother ship. Your investment of time, energy and even money is not to be ignored or downplayed, and though I have passed the baton to others that would like to keep things going (and improve upon my meager efforts), I doubt that your efforts have come to an end, one way or another.

And while I will accept the homage, especially from someone like Ken, I gotta say, in all truthfullness - you can throw all the parties you like, but if no one shows up, you just have a lot of expensive leftovers to deal with. And considering that it isn't just western NC and eastern TN (and northern Ga) folks coming to the event, it makes it even more special.

I can only hope that we can get MBUSA to give us the help we need to get the word out, to make more and larger events possible. While you can (apparently) put a price on customer relations, you can't put a price on the friendship found and given at these events.
Getsmart,
Please accept my apologies for not including you in my Kudo's to Gary! You have been an important part of all that many of us have done as well as to SCOA. I simply wanted to publicly thank Gary for his three years of effort toward the Dragon which has been an exceptional effort on behalf of the community. He, I and many others also know how important you have been to that event as well as many others so I am sorry I was not more explicit in including you and your efforts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts