Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Cabrio, the passenger side axle looks as if someone replaced the seal already, and I swapped it again with a madness seal. My question is I don't recall the snap ring being on the end of the axle, I really didn't look, but when you grab the cup that is closest to the transmission the axle has movement by hand. Shouldn't that portion of the cv axle be solid to the transmission? I thought the cup housed the roller bearings that slid in and out with suspension travel. I am curious if the movement is normal, if I remember right when I removed it it was solid. Could I possibly be missing the snap ring?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Yes, there is a small snap ring in a groove on the end of the axle that goes into the transmission. In fact, you have to pry pretty hard to get it to pop loose when you remove it. If it's moving back and forth by hand, it probably came off. If you are having issues with leaks at the axle, that's probably the cause...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I was trying to ask what the normal "feel" is for the cup that snaps into the transmission. Is that cup supposed to be solid or does it have side to side movement. I am not talking in and out movement its side to side, grab the cup and move it from front of the car to the rear of the car. Any thoughts? I am going to try to get a video of this to show what I am talking about.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I guess I was trying to ask what the normal "feel" is for the cup that snaps into the transmission. Is that cup supposed to be solid or does it have side to side movement. I am not talking in and out movement its side to side, grab the cup and move it from front of the car to the rear of the car. Any thoughts? I am going to try to get a video of this to show what I am talking about.
That's not right. It should be solid front to rear. If it's moving around, you probably have a nasty driveline vibration when the car is moving, don't you? Those splines should be a fairly tight fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled this apart again, there is a sleeve in the bearing, where do I get that part since the dealer says its not there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts