Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today issued a final rule requiring rear visibility technology. Today's final rule requires all vehicles under 10,000 pounds, including buses and trucks, manufactured on or after May 1, 2018, to come equipped with rear visibility technology that expands the field of view to enable the driver of a motor vehicle to detect areas behind the vehicle to reduce death and injury resulting from backover incidents.
Source: NHTSA Announces Final Rule Requiring Rear Visibility Technology | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
In the interest of safety (especially for small children) good idea.

But OMG, one more thing for those who are already "multitasking challenged" - driving, texting, watching a DVD or gaming, GPS and now need to look at a rear view camera too!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Rear view cameras are less efficient than turning around your head and visually determining how to align your car in a parking sport or just back up.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Some backup cameras only work when one is backing up. If it is difficult to see behind the car, it could be of assistance.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
When mine was out for a few weeks due to a head unit problem I really missed it. Some poo poo them, but there is no doubt (in my mind) they are a valuable aid, especially in vehicles which have inherently poor rearward visibility ... such as the smart cabrio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts