Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there used a backup camera in their smart, or any other vehicle for that matter? Any recommendations as to screen size, wired or wireless.
Are they worth the money or not worth the effort?

Kaz

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
See the little box that says search just under the red ribbons with all the links in them and just above the dialog boxes? Type "backup camera" there and click. Take your pick and read.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Seriously, a back up camera in a smart?
Just look out the back window?

OR open the driver's door and look back?
Seriously, a back up camera in a smart, especially a cabrio, is a VERY beneficial mod. Rearward visibility pretty much sucks. I was without my camera for a month while my Kenwood head unit was out for repairs and I dearly missed it.

Open the door and look back? Come on, that's a real practical solution. Not.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I have one to install in my car, just haven't gotten to install it.

My Veloster has one factory and I love it, it has proximity sensors for parking tight and it kind of, sort of, lets see around corners.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See the little box that says search just under the red ribbons with all the links in them and just above the dialog boxes? Type "backup camera" there and click. Take your pick and read.
Thanks Stretch you're a real help, I'll try that.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Kazuano: Two approaches. One is a camera with a stand alone dash display.

The other is a camera supporting head unit (Kenwood or Pioneer maybe) with a rear mounted camera.

I went with the head unit since I also wanted to upgrade the sound system and to have in dash GPS.

This camera is the Kenwood CCD-2000. There's a recess below the tailgate that may as well have been intended to give a home to a camera. But, it should be mounted a little further out to avoid having the body "frame" the image at top and bottom as seen in the middle photo.

Here's a photo showing what a properly mounted camera can show.

Oh, BTW, wrumbarger isn't a youngun', but he IS very tall. So, he has that advantage, I reckon.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a rearview camera on my Lexus RX and I do find it useful. I also have the radar system on the back bumper which is also helpful. I have not thought of installing a camera on my smart because I don't feel it as necessary on my Passion. I can see it would of use on a Cabriolet, though.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I a rented little BMW Type 1 in Stuttgart, it had sensor readouts in the GPS display for front and surrounding front area; the same was on the rear.
A colorful display with matching sound intensity showed when ever I got too close to any wall or pole. I thought this was absolutely fabulous, for it saved me many possible accidents.
One time at the hotel I backed up against a low stone wall and I listened to the sound and I was going to stop when a certain intensity was reached. So I thought.
I actually touched the wall and scratched the dark blue paint on the bumper.
This was the one time where one can't blame anyone else for one's own stupidity.
So I went to a German body shop who listen to my story and just said it would be about $300 Euros. That dampen my spirits considerably. I bought a cheap touch up stick and hoped for the best and when I brought the car back, the place was poorly lighted and I signed off with out any problem. Then the bill came and it was the same as I signed off on and nothing was added to it. Whew....:read:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have a 2008 smart and a 2000 Mazda 626 I inherited from my father. I don't drive the Mazda much and when I saw a closeout on an RF camera, I got it. Mounted with the license plate bracket and I routed the power line back into the car. The big question was how to attach the camera and the small reciever/monitor to circuits that would activate when the car was put into reverse. I didn't see an easy way, so I installed it so that it had power whenever the key was turned on. So, I basically have a full-time camera facing back.

I belive the item I bought was an Audiovox. I have only one complaint. The screen is so small it is useless ad since the unit is RF and not hard-wired, I can't change the display. So, look at the display realistically, whatever unit or vehicle you are considering.

I won't weigh in on whether you need one on a smart (wanting is totally different). Get the bigger display.

I would amost recommend a rearview camera if you have two cars and one is a smart. The reason is that it is esay to get used to the size of the smart and lose your sense of perspective on a larger car.

From a defensive perspective, I almost feel like I need full 360 coverage via a camera system in the smart. People constantly do stupid things.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I originally got the round one (pyle) that you have to drill a hole in the car to mount it. (like the one in the pictures in this thread) but when I went to have it installed with my new head unit they didn't want to drill into the back hatch because I have a cabrio and they didn't want to mess up the rail storage area. So they put on the kind that mounts to the liscense plate. I love it! Even at night it works very well! Couldn't upload a picture because I am at capacity for the forum but you might look into the liscense plate mount camera.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
NCC, just exactly where and how is your camera mounted on the car? I'm finally going to add the camera to my Pioneer.:)
Mine is mounted below the tailgate, dead center there's a nook that seems to be designed for the camera. I would, however, like to move it OUT a bit to clear the body panels from the image.

Yeah, I know the car is dirty.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Mine is mounted below the tailgate, dead center there's a nook that seems to be designed for the camera. I would, however, like to move it OUT a bit to clear the body panels from the image.

Yeah, I know the car is dirty.
Got it! Thanks.. That looks like THE place to put that thing: I don't want to drill into the panel.
The camera for my Pioneer unit looks almost exactly like the one you have there.
(They're probably made on the same factory line over seas)

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is nuts.If some fool can run over their kid,because they didn't look to see if they were in the car,sounds like an excuse machine,like when your Sat dish won't work because of wet snow.Gat your head of out of your ass and take some responisibility,and get off the phone,stop texing,,just drive.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
solonmills: With as much respect as I can give to a total stranger ... WTF are you talking about? I've never owned a cell phone and distracted drivers are one of my pet peeves. I agree totally with you that people need to give their attention to the task at hand, driving the car. That, however is irrelevant to the discussion of rear view cameras. In fact, improving one's ability to see behind the car IS the point.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Why not think of it as another tool, to look just that one extra time, after you've checked the mirrors and turned your head around to check behind the car?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts