Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, well had a bad day with my Smart, first nice day in a long time so I was working on my car, changed the oil, that went fine. changed out the side marker lights with new LED bulbs want ok kinda, discovered that the fixture on the drivers side was broken and that who owned the car last just glued it back in place, so I did the same thing using some super glue I had laying around.

Now here is the really cool thing that went wrong, I started changing out the front parking lights with new LED bulbs and then I happened the LED bulb disconnected from the fixture/socket tried for over a hour with needle nose grippers (with no luck) to pull the bulb back out. tried using the fixture hoping it would just go back in to the socket, that almost worked for a second. Well now I have a loose bulb floating around in side the drivers side headlight fixture. Can I get inside that fixture without pulling the front end off. Can you get into the fixture by way of the headlight. does that glass lens come out from the inside?????
I stopped working on it for now so that I would do no more damage. :(

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost had it, using the high beam bulb opening tried using a vacuum cleaner, a funnel and tubing to suck it out. I'll have to wait till it's in the center of the high beam light channel. Perhaps a chop stick with sticky duck tape on the end.

I guess I'm the first one to have done this stupid thing

·
17,345 Posts
I was just installing LED parking lights last night and feel your pain. Those stalks are a mother______ to get out! Lube that stalk on re-entry. Trust me...

I didn't drop mine, thankfully...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
A couple months ago, the bulb decided to die in my Saturn's fog light. What the heck? I just installed them in the fall. Oh well. I worked on pulling it out for 10 minutes. Finally, I twisted with all my might and it popped out... The bulb breaking off in the lens.

Crap.

I tried for an hour and a half (with some breaks for appropriate swearing and hitting inanimate things) to get it out to no avail. I knew the tool that would help, but I couldn't find the one we had.

I ended up using a screw driver with duct tape on the end.

I found the "thingy" I needed a few weeks ago at Harbor Freight. It also came with a little extendable parts-picker-upper-magnet thingy. You press the button on top, and it extends and opens a little claw on the end. Release, and the claw latches on. It's a miracle device... Thing!

This little spring-loaded-claw-grabber-thing is perfect for getting little things out of tight places. It's all sorts of flexible, and it's the best couple of bucks you'll ever spend.

Dare I say it promotes heart health, because you don't go nuts for a prolonged period of time ranting and raving up a storm! :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I have good news, I got it out today, in less then two minutes. Now that two minutes does not take into account all the very hard left hand turns I made on the way home, nor does it account for all the very slow, and soft right hand turns I had to make in the same trip. My strange driving got that bulb dead center in the high beam channel. I used a chop stick with sticky duct tape on the end.

I'm gonna get me that spring-loaded-claw-grabby-thing pronto, it should be useful for dozens of projects for years to come!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts