Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
hiya Wel,
Of course you should not accept just anything. You are on the waiting list, someday you will configure your car, it will arrive, and you will pay MSRP.
Such a deal !!!

edited for spelling

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
ebay has a bunch of Smart cars for sale. You don't even have to pay MSRP on some of them. It's like an orphan, but cheaper. They've usually been road tested. Heaven forbid you get one of the few with an actual problem, the manufacturer warranty extends to even the ebay sales.

You DO have a choice. Everyone has a choice. In every decision.

Don't think that Smart is immune to the forces that govern the auto loan or sales world. The dealer's still got to make a profit, or they can't pay their employees. Ebay doesn't have that overhead. Try there. The seller might even let you test drive it more than around the block.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
There are some lame dealerships and some that are very good. I dealt with one that is very good, and i still buy all sorts of goodies from them. I have two other delerships i could have gone to in my area, but they were way too inflated in their heads for me.
You do have a choice as far as getting a Smart goes, you can wait as long as you need be to configure, or pick out an orphan you like. If you feel that strongly about the Devon dealership, then don't go there. I would not let a rude place ruin your experiece, try the one in Jersey and see what you find out. BTW i do think this car is still in demand even with the poor ecnomy.

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
I didnt have a problem with interest rate with a decent down and a good relationship with a credit union AND bad credit.

Have YOU had any issues? Dont complain about issues you haven't had yet.

Suze, got any popcorn left?

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
OK Ill start

I found this in a Thread about smart finance from the OP

I'm so glad I found these postings. I was in the Dealership this weekend to configure my Cabrio. As it turned out, they had the exact car on the lot that I had just configured. So I thought I might as well just persue that one as opposed to waiting for the configured car to arrive.
This was a saturday and they told me that I would have to wait until Monday to get the credit application and trade-in information for my 2004 BMW 325. In the meantime, the sales person placed one call and told me that they would probably only be able to offer me 8,000 LESS than what I owe for my BMW.
SO needless to say, I will not be buying the Smart (this weekend at least). I have no idea what they would offer me for an interest rate through Smart, but I gotta believe that the deal would just not make sense.
A big reason for me to even reserve a Smart was that I just don't need a car much at all, so was looking for a lower payment, etc.

Has anyone else had a hard time justifying the monthly cost of a Smart.? additionally, NONE of the regular maintenance is covered by the warranty. the warranty that only lasts 2 years.

I left the dealer with an uneasy feeling. and I wanted this to be a fun experience.

Please advise. THANKS!
- Into the dealership to Config hu? We just did it online. No presure and you get to take your time figuring it out.

- Saturdays are the worst time to get attention from a car dealer. If you want their attention go on a quiet day.

- So you are upside down on your loan with your BMW. How is that smarts fault. Why should they eat the difference. If you don't like an offer just don't take it. Try to find someone else to buy your car. These smart dealers are not in the buisness of "used" cars. They can only give you what they can get quicly offloading it at auction.

-You should never go into a dealership without a loan lined up. I went to my bank and got their current rate. smart told me they were sure they could match it. When they called me to tell me congrats I had the loan from them I asked whats the rate. It was higher than my bank so I said no thanks, their finance gal went back to work and they came in with one 1 point lower than my bank. Rates are negotiable, if you have some clout.

- If you don't like the dealer, then go across the river and get an Orphan, but only if you realy feel like this is the car for you. But I would get out from under that BMW first if I were you.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
- So you are upside down on your loan with your BMW. How is that smarts fault. Why should they eat the difference.

Exactly right! Dealers are pretty much limited to giving (maximum) wholesale on a used vehicle in order to allow a profit margin for the sale of the vehicle. $8000 less than what's owed on the vehicle? SERIOUSLY upside-down! Even when dealers SAY they're giving you more for your car than wholesale value..... they're NOT! They're just taking some of the built-in, inflated profit margin off the MSRP to make it LOOK like you're getting the deal-of-a-lifetime! However, they can ONLY do that on a vehicle that has enough of a "profit margin" built in to the vehicle being bought. It's ALL smoke-&-mirrors, really!! :>)
So if you walk onto the lot and pay the sticker price (MSRP+++) for a brand new BMW...............and THEN have it financed for 5 or 6 years............. well, as you drive away the blood will be rushing to your head, because you are going to be seriously UPSIDE-DOWN!!! :>) HOWEVER, once you get home, please give ME a call, because I've got some things that I'd like to sell you! Good deals!!! ;>) Any popcorn left Suze.....Forest??? :>)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts