Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the equipment and options list that MicroNut provided, there will be no NAV available on the 2008. That may kill any possibility of me taking delivery in the first year, as my wife will not consider any vehicle purchase without a navigation system. She is directionally challenged and can't figure out how a flat piece of paper (known as a map by many) has anything to do with where anyone may or may not be located on this globe. This is a big oversight by Smart. They have been offering NAV in Europe on the 450. I would think the 451 is big enough to handle one as well.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plenty of U.S. aftermarket options out there. Shouldn't be a show-stopper.
I haven't found an aftermarket NAV screen (handheld) that is large enough to read or has adequate audio guidance. If you have any suggestions regarding aftermarket units with 6X6 plus displays, I'd appreciate it.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Good news??

I believe the navigation unit is a dealer installed option (its essentially like a aftermarket addon) , so it won't might not show up on the list of factory order options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
no NAV!!! oh my, I'd say get your deposit back. That way the 20,000 smarts (or is is 16,000?) will be available for those who just want a Smart Car to get their youngest to and from soccer or work (and maybe go home for lunch).

GPS? If you don't know where you are going from home well then you need to be in your Lexus (no, I don't have a Lexus and I do not need a Lexus or a Garmin except when I am at the airport in an unfamiliar city and the Avis rep asks me if I want one)

m

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
smart NAV

The international smart website has a description of the smart navigation system as "portable." I interpret that as an available accessory vice anything bult-in. One might be better served by choosing one of the many portable U.S. made and supported Garmins, Magellans, etc., rather than settling for what may be a single Euro choice. Unless you really need a street map of Barcelona.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no NAV!!! oh my, I'd say get your deposit back. That way the 20,000 smarts (or is is 16,000?) will be available for those who just want a Smart Car to get their youngest to and from soccer or work (and maybe go home for lunch).

GPS? If you don't know where you are going from home well then you need to be in your Lexus (no, I don't have a Lexus and I do not need a Lexus or a Garmin except when I am at the airport in an unfamiliar city and the Avis rep asks me if I want one)

m
Did I mention that my wife is directionally challenged? We've lived here for 10 years and she still can't remeber the way to home depot (2 miles away). I do love her, so it would be nice if she could occassionally find her way back home.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Sharp Eyes

Lohboy,

You have sharp eyes. The case is the same; the screen presentation is the same; the data bar at the bottom of the screen is the same. Only difference is that "Garmin" is replaced with "smart" on the case face. Mystery solved!

·
Registered
2 Posts
currently i have an 06 saturn ion and i added on an aftermarket kenwood flip out screen that i added navigation feature too, but also the pioneer avic - d3 or avic z2

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love GPS. Once you have a car with GPS, you never go back.....
Yeah, GPS has saved my marriage. Years ago, we'd get to bickering about directions after I made a wrong term. Now I can yell at the lady in the GPS about her crappy directions, and my wife just sits back and rolls her eyes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lohboy,

You have sharp eyes. The case is the same; the screen presentation is the same; the data bar at the bottom of the screen is the same. Only difference is that "Garmin" is replaced with "smart" on the case face. Mystery solved!
Well it's not, is a tomtom 910 made in the Netherlands the best selling brand in the world, and in I my opinion the best option, I have two and when I travel to Europe it has all the maps to Western Europe including security cameras, and bluetooth ..and also a 20 gig HD does not get any better that this..

The original NAV option from smart did not have a map...

And by the way having Nav in a car actually adds value to a car...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts