1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hopefully people at the meet got a chance to look at the backup camera system that was installed to both the red demo "orphan" and to the black demo with the dealer decals on it. I drove both of those Fortwos Saturday and I can confirm the camera was on both of the cars.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Camera?!? Are you kidding me? Parking spots are 20 feet long!
I am planning on adding one of these to the Kenwood radio in my truck which is 10 feet longer than the smart, has 4 doors and a 6 foot bed.
But unless you have REALLY bad parking issues like NYC, it is pure vanity.
Ha-ha-ha just kidding, I am getting one too:D

·
Registered
861 Posts
I purchased a cam but haven't installed it yet, I will be connecting it to my in-dash DVD player. Just curious to know where is the best place to install the cam on the Smart. Also, I have been thinking about getting a license frame with built in cam, anyone have any experience with one of those?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I purchased a cam but haven't installed it yet, I will be connecting it to my in-dash DVD player. Just curious to know where is the best place to install the cam on the Smart. Also, I have been thinking about getting a license frame with built in cam, anyone have any experience with one of those?
My S550 has one of those (didn't come with the car). It's a chrome finish license plate the the camera blends in well. Looks very nice. Helps me a lot when parking that boat.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love my back up cam. It's not vanity with this car. There are some bad blind spots especially with the top down. My driveway slopes down and when backing out I can't be entirely sure there isn't a small child behind me. As I have a lot of experience with backed over children I want to make sure I am never the cause. Just a warning for those of you who aren't really into DIY. Many of the Costco type back up cameras that say "wireless" actually require you to wire the unit to your reverse lights. That involves splicing into wires and may involve drilling into your car. The wireless part is the signal from the camera to the monitor. I mounted my camera right next to my license plate under the lip on the tailgate.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Has anyone looked at car DVR's? Has 1,2 or 3 cameras and records constantly looping over itself. You can download the video, has GPS and shock sensors that automatically save a user specified length of time before and after impact. Kind of ties in with the thread about smart haters. When jerks cut you off, tailgate, intimidate or actually hit you, you have it recorded, save it and take them to court with it. New cars will be coming with them as standard equipment soon, you can get big discounts with insurance because fault cam be easily detirmined. Cost is around $150 up to $450 depending on options etc. Google "car dvr."

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
I hadn't thought about installing a back up camera in my smart.
I used to have one on the back of our camper that then connected to a monitor on the dash of my full size van. It was a big help not only when parking the camper but also driving down the road. I could see who was behind me. I wanted a sign on the back of the camper that I could have triggered to say "Your following too close" or "Smile your on candid camera" :p

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I need one for my motorcycle. The rearview mirrors don't cover the two feet behind my back. Sheeeesh...... At least when you back into something, you can blame it on the fact that you were looking at the dashboard.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Note that post #8 is from 09-03-2008, 02:07 AM! The thread's revival last night was due to spam since then deleted... :wink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi I've just bought one of these cameras and plan to install it above my license plate.

Can anyone tell me where/how I should deal with the 12v power and ground?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
A Backup camera for the Smart? I don't get it. For anything larger...maybe.

You don't drive a Cabrio, do you?

Unlike the Coupé, the Cabrio's rear corner blind spots are, err, "impressive" for such a tiny car. It's not like we have that bloody-huge rear window to peer out of, like you do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Installed new stereo that came with free backup camera but no instructions. I know it needs to be connected to the reverse light.
Question:

Which wires are for the reverse light?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts