Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to tell my cars battery age. I can't find the date it was manufactured. Any idea of how to find out?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
Appears that you may have a MY13 Car2Go - if it has an OEM battery, it could be nearing “the end” as some of the fleet sat for a while?

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
I have recently looked at six OE Smart car batteries for the 451's (451 982 00 08) and every one of them had the date code stamped into the negative terminal. At first I looked long and hard to find a sticker or a code stamped into the plastic to no avail.
Camera accessory Gas Auto part Cameras & optics Carbon
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Gas Auto part Circle

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Jeb's battery in Post #4 looks to be a 453 battery from 2017. If that's the case, he should be good for awhile.

Len

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a date stamped on you battery? What year car do you own? Is your car battery still good?
Theres a number stamped on my battery and a sticker in its side. Car is a 2013, battery still good. Purchased car in 2018.
Motor vehicle Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Bumper
Rectangle Font Number Signage Nameplate

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Josse - is the date hidden within your first photo or are you still trying to decode it? Is that an "8" or a "2' between the "1" and the "B"? What make is that battery?

Len

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Josse - is the date hidden within your first photo or are you still trying to decode it? Is that an "8" or a "2' between the "1" and the "B"? What make is that battery?

Len
I'm still trying to decode it, but its confusing. The number tween "1" & "B" is "2". Battery is Interstate.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
At first I thought it looked like an Interstate with the green top, but I did a Google search and didn't come up with a good answer. Just tried again and the "HUF" might mean August 30, 2015. Check out this chart:

https://www.reddit.com/r/firealarms/comments/mvtcrl
If in fact 2015 is right, wonder why a two year old original battery had to be replaced? If it was replaced in 2015, it's probably time to keep a close eye on it, Let us know if you eventually figure out the date.

Len

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At first I thought it looked like an Interstate with the green top, but I did a Google search and didn't come up with a good answer. Just tried again and the "HUF" might mean August 30, 2015. Check out this chart:

https://www.reddit.com/r/firealarms/comments/mvtcrl
If in fact 2015 is right, wonder why a two year old original battery had to be replaced? If it was replaced in 2015, it's probably time to keep a close eye on it, Let us know if you eventually figure out the date.

Len
Thanks a lot. I was looking for some info like this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interestingly, the car batteries of the 450 and 451 last a long time, 7 years or more. Just like all cars before start stop technology.

But the 453 is a different case. Many end up with duff batteries in year 2, 3 or 4, as mentioned on smart forums. A lot of us put it down to the hellish start stop technology, that drains the battery life due to all that start and stopping during a Journey. It is not good.

I am on year 3 now with my 453, but have NEVER used start stop, as i press the disable button every journey. I hope this will keep the battery good for some more years to come.

It was a terrible idea to impose start stop technology on us, as all it does is save a thimbleful of fuel, if any. Whereas the diss-advantages are huge, wear on engine and starting components, battery life reduced, and danger of accidental cutout in the middle of a dangerous junction, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts