Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm providing some info to possibly help other owners...

After 13 years my battery finally died. It was a great stretch, so no complaints.

Sitting in my garage was a Ultima Redtop 34R which was in another car that was unfortunately in a significant accident (broke my heart, but luckily nothing else). Not wanting to waste money I wanted to fit the 34R into the Smart.

FYI it fits, but you will need to angle it a little bit to ensure the Ground wire is not overly stretched; I had/have no desire to buy a longer Ground wire, but that is an option. Note that I've also added some heavy-duty foam under the battery bracket to enable me to keep the red Positive battery cover. All I did was insert 2 plastic wall anchors into the foam and then inserted the red battery cover stalks into them. I also added the same foam on the side of the battery to create the slight angle I mentioned and to ensure the battery does cause any rattles. For cleanliness sake I stuck a small bit of foam into the top of the original battery overflow tube since it's not needed with this type of battery.

Yeah, it looks kinda ordinary but no one sees it and it only took about 90mins from removal of the old battery to completion, given I had to find the bits'n'pieces and then concoct/test the set-up. If I had to do it again it'd take ~30mins.

I expect to get many more years of driving with this battery. Attached are some pics to help illustrate my descriptions.

I hope this helps folks considering a Redtop for their beloved Smart.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Funny that you posted this. I was just inspecting my red top in the 451. Car couldn't start after left for days. Trying to charge it thru ctek and see what happens.

I did have some difficulties pulling it out. I had to remove that black plastic piece that covers the evap pipes.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well this just confirms what I was wondering about.
Next battery I’m getting will be a red top for my smart.
I had one in my Escalade and it lasted for years(well till I decided to sell the truck) new owner had to get one for it as it has sat so long the truck drained it to death.
Awesome battery and never left me stranded.
Can’t say the same for the Walmart battery I’ve got for the smart(already had to be replaced and I got it new when I got the car)
Nine months was all it gave.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts