Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this still exist? I am thinking about buying a 2015 ED, but don’t want to pay the monthly subscription. I know it used to be that purchasers had to take on the liabilities of the leased battery pack. Does anyone know if this has now changed? I’ve had a good root around the forums but can’t find anything recent.

many thanks

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
As far as I know, MB has dropped the BAP battery lease program like it was a really bad romantic falling-out - i.e. like the program never existed. If you bring it up with a MB dealers some sales persons may call it an "optional extended warranty" that you can maintain for the monthly fee and drop at any time by not paying the fee.

At this point I really doubt that you will encounter any used car seller telling you that you must assume the BAP payment contract from the previous owner - contracts can't be legally transferred like that anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
If you want to, you can simply buy out the battery of it's rental contract.

I've listed everything there is to know, when buying a ED3, about the battery here in my buying advice.
GOOD STUFF in this post by MineCooky, but bear in mind that it includes some uniquely EURO factoids.

"Attention!
Please never buy a smart ED3 that drove less than 5.000 Miles a year. The battery is not made for being not used and the range will decrease after 1-2 years when you then are using it normally again."
Four years into ED "ownership" I would disagree with this "opinion."

Stateside, dealing with smartUSA, BAP and MBFS can be a horse of a different color. Most ED's were originally leased WITH BAP for the simple reason that it discounted the cost basis and provided some peace of mind that your HV battery was "covered."

Early on at lease turn-in many smart Centers tried to resell ED'S at full "list" with BAP and found there was no market as you could lease NEW cheaper. Soon the dealers ceased flipping lease turn-ins and sent them to auction which then placed them outside the M-B family and ultimately BAP continuation dried up.

Things became so convoluted that even M-B gave up on the program and today it only exists for those original adopters who have continued to make their monthly payment. If someone is selling and suggests buyout or lays a BAP contract transfer form out as part of "the deal," just say NO!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Four years into ED "ownership" I would disagree with this "opinion."
It's based on my own experience and got two reasons:
1. Here in the EU there are a few people who sell US-imports from a car2go fleet. They all got huge problems as they've been standing around for years...
2. As long as you still drive your <5.000 miles/year, the battery is absolutely fine. It starts getting a problem, when you then start driving again 10.000 miles/year. To be honest, I don't know why, but that the outer cells of the 3 battery modules start loosing range drastically. Already had measured 5-10 smarts like that myself.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Car2Go ED’s AND pre-owned ED’s that have languished on the sales lot (with 12v/HVdying) without seeing an occasional drive/charge can be a roll of the dice on either side of the pond!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have always driven my Smart EV’s 5,000 miles a year, I drive them every day to and from work, round trip 12 miles. No issues... The problem is when they sit!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had reason to be very grateful for the BAP when my HV battery failed towards the end of 2018. I believe the car - a late 2013 ED - may have been on the dealer's forecourt for some time before we bought at 7,000 miles and 2 years from new. They clearly did not understand the need to keep the batteries charged: one of the sales photos showed SOC at 0% with snow on the ground. I ran the DIY Arduino tester over the HV battery and it showed fine so we bought. Some time later the 12v battery would go flat after two days of no use and the HV Battery warning/Driveline system failure would show up. It always cleared on the second attempt to 'start' the car. We replaced the 12v battery and things were good - for a while. Some months down the line the flat 12v battery problem/Drive system failure came back but it always cleared the second time. At this time I was able to measure a something like 6 amp phantom drain on the 12v line. Drove it perfectly normally to our local MB dealer for its 12-month service and they rang the following day to say that both batteries (12v and HV) had failed diagnostics and a module had also failed. The BAP kicked in and both batteries and the failed module (I suspect the cause of the drain) were all replaced free of charge. It did however take 8 months to source a replacement HV battery.

With the knowledge now circulating among the 451ED community about similar HV brickings, I think it would be bordering on the insane to have a car not on the BAP. While I have a 6-year-old car with a 6-month old HV battery, I intend to do all I can to keep the BAP running for as long as possible. The equivalent of $70 a month is worth it for a car that otherwise costs almost nothing to run beyond the fixed costs of insurance and servicing.

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
Might agree with you if you are buying a used EV Smart car, but of course the BAP is likely not an option there. However on my two Smarts, both bought new, I am happy so far that I did not opt for the BAP. I was confident that the four year factory warranty was sufficient. Will I still be happy in a few years? Who knows, but in four years of ownership I have had no issues. But that's just me. I feel that any extended warranty is generally a waste of money, whether it be a car, a TV or a refrigerator. It's an insurance policy and in the long run, the insurance company always wins. Good for you that it worked in your favor, but you are the exception.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 15,500 miles

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
The BAP kicked in and both batteries and the failed module (I suspect the cause of the drain) were all replaced free of charge. It did however take 8 months to source a replacement HV battery.
EIGHT MONTHS! Speaks volumes of Daimler’s lack of commitment to ED, BAP and “Customer satisfaction” even in Europe!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, back then it took them ridiculously long to send a replacement battery to the shop. As far as I know it's now down to 2-3 weeks again. At least that's how long somebody had to wait for it who I'm in contact with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow 8 months? That's crazy. I had to wait 3 months. 1 month to get MB to agree to replace the HV battery, the car was sold at auction with the requirement that the new owner take on the BAP but the prior lease holder had never serviced the car so at 20k miles they denied my claim due to the fact it had never been serviced, even though MB was the one who sold the car at auction and i bought it at 18k miles. I escalated to MB customer care and finally some exec from New Jersey approved it but chastised me that "These are specialized systems that need proper maintenance". Wanted to rip her a new one since this was all MB's fault but held my tongue to get the repair done. 2 more months waiting for a refurb HV battery from Germany. This was 18 months ago no issues since. Still love the car and with the BAP + Insurance it is still a super low monthly payment vs. a ICE car and works for my needs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my case there was no push-back from MB on the BAP warranty claim. They also replaced the 12v battery and the DC-DC converter, which arguably were the reason why the HV battery died, at no cost to me. Also got regular calls from MB customer service in the Netherlands to check I was happy.

There were two new batteries in Spain but European/UK rules on shipping bare Li batteries make it difficult, I understand. I was happy to wait and they loaned me a demo car in the meantime. I was just so pleased to get my pocket rocket back. Like you it meets our needs 95% of the time and it was invaluable when I was driving and parking twice a day at a traffic-locked city centre hospital to visit my wife. Nothing like it for slicing through traffic, and much quicker than most ICE vehicles off the line at lights and junctions. Hell, it makes city driving fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts