Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Sunday I drove to the mall just to find out it's already closed. I walked back to my car, unlocked it, sat down and turned the ignition. Everything lit up like normal and than instantly the car went black. Absolutely black.

It was -dead-. Completely dead. Nothing would work...

Magically, like 30-45 minutes later, everything lit up like a christmas tree and things were fine again! Except when I started it up, the lights were flickering like a madman.

Mind you-- the battery has died on me once or twice, and oddly just refused to trigger the ignition some other times. (so I imagine the battery was just lame and old).

Replaced it with the larger 61AH battery... It came with only a 40AH battery, and I was running aftermarket door speakers, 500WRMS subwoofer/amp and blasting the volume every chance.

$160 later.... (wtfbbq?)

·
Registered
33 Posts
It was -dead-. Completely dead. Nothing would work...

Magically, like 30-45 minutes later, everything lit up like a christmas tree and things were fine again! Except when I started it up, the lights were flickering like a madman.)
This happened to me in another car. The positive terminal had rattled loose just a tiny bit. It wasn't even loose, loose...just a little bit. Anyway, that connection has to be very snug because if there is a gap in the current flow then you'll get flickering lights like you had, and/or the computer recognizes the fluctuation in current and shuts everything dead.

Having said all that, it may have been all the loud music... :D

Most places will offer you a core discount for a dead battery when buying a new battery...so take your old one in and get it tested and depending if it really is dead, then keep it or get the core discount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts