Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
I installed the solenoid for the Road Master battery disconnect system. When I got to the part where you are to connect the existing "to starter" cable to the new supplied cable that goes to the solenoid I found a proprietary battery connection with an apparently riveted on nut. Who thinks these things up? The thread pattern on this nut doesn't match the supplied coupler and the bolt on the positive battery terminal connector is also permanently affixed and has the same unknown thread pattern. The positive wire to the battery is routed through some sort of connection so I would rather not mess with that either. How do I make this usually easy and uncomplicated connection?
Stephen
2013 City Flame Cabrio
Is that Roadmaster's automatic battery disconnect system? The smart center that I bought my 2009 from warned me that automatic battery disconnect switches, specifically Roadmaster's, can backfeed enough power into the car's electrical system to possibly energize it - as in wake up the car's computer. They recommended a manual battery disconnect switch. I went with the manual switch.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Harbor Freight has such a battery disconnect switch for like $4. You want to place it in the negative line, not the positive. My car came with one from the factory.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought the orange switch wit the key on amazon for about 10 dollars and 2 24" neg battery cables one with battery post connection and one without cut a hole with my roto zip easy and neat. Someone posted pictures under towing on technical.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Disconnect switch

I have been towing my Smart with the battery hot, but finally decided to put in a disconnect switch. I had this switch laying around my shop for years now; I bought it at a flea market for, I think, $3.

I decided to put it on the vertical space under the dash, to the left of the battery. I used a saw to knock the two useless bumps off the surface. I guess they may have a use in some model, but they were just in the way.

I had the plastic housing also laying around in the shop. I don't even remember what it is or where I got it. It was the right size and color for what I wanted. I cut a 1/2" block from plywood as a mounting and screwed the block to the vertical surface. I put a piece of 3/8" plywood behind the surface, and the block is screwed through the surface and into the block. It is a good firm mounting.

To operate the switch, you have to pull the handle out about 1/4" and turn. No way it can be accidentally switched.

I think it looks pretty nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Manch! I installed your recommendation for the battery disconnect on my 2011 Passion. Worked like a dream. Purchased a used 2015 to update and forgot how to install, so I used your photos as a refresher. Thanks so much! We'll be dragging the little car through 12 states this coming Spring. Gotta love the Smart!

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts