Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I haven’t driven my 2008 fortwo in about a month, I did a 14 day quarantine after moving my partner across state lines and when I went to start it two weeks ago the lights were weak and the car wouldn’t start. The next day it was totally dead but I didn’t need to go anywhere because lockdown. Fast forward to today, my roommate was going to help me jump start it and looking over the battery before attaching the jumper cables I noticed this looked snapped off.
I don’t know much about batteries but that doesn’t look like it’s supposed to be like that. I also noticed it seemed more wet under the mat than I would have expected after not being touched for a month. We decided to hold off on jumping while I figured out what’s going on but I don’t know enough about batteries to even have the correct terms for a google search. Help? What is this? How much should I worry? And what should I do? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
1,649 Posts
Right - the bad news is that it sure sounds like you need new battery. The good news is that a new battery will have that vent tube intact. I suggest cleaning up the battery compartment when the old battery comes out. Make sure you hook up the vent tube properly. That battery compartment doesn't get a lot of action - wouldn't surprise me if that vent tube was broken when that battery was installed.

I'm told that the battery install for the ICE is the same as it is for the EV's. There is a sticky at the top of the electric car forum that details how to DIY.

Len

1 - 4 of 4 Posts