Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Smart ForTwo Coupe. one owner - me. 30K miles. Original battery. I live in Seattle. I last drove the car on March 23rd. It's in an enclosed garage beneath my condo. I got in it on Saturday to take the cat to the vet. There was enough juice to unlock the door and make a sound but not enough to start the car. We are under stay at home rules here until the first week in May. Maybe longer. I live alone. No other cars I wouldn't mind having a car available for emergencies but I can probably live without it.

• So. Should I get a mobile mechanic to come out and jump the car? Will your average mobile mechanic know how to jump a Smart car?
  • Should I get the Mercedes dealership (the only ones who have ever worked on it) to come out and jump it?
  • If I get it going, will riding it around the block a couple of times a week be enough to keep it charged? I really have no place to go other than maybe the grocery store or bagel place a mile from here.
  • If I just leave it until May or June, will I even be able to get in it? Will it charge from totally dead?
I'm debating all these things with myself and I have very limited knowledge so I'm looking for some outside suggestions of what to do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

·
Registered
276 Posts
All a friend it a neighbor to give you a boost. You don't need to drive the car at all. About once or twice a week start the car and let it run for 15 min and that should be enough. If it still doesn't hold a charger then you probably need a new battery

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All a friend it a neighbor to give you a boost. You don't need to drive the car at all. About once or twice a week start the car and let it run for 15 min and that should be enough. If it still doesn't hold a charger then you probably need a new battery
Thank you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes definitely get a new battery. A 9 year old battery is not worth gambling that it might still be good. A new battery will give you peace of mind. And you don't have to to get one from the MB dealership. Read other threads about which batteries are good to get at various auto parts stores. Alot of info here in the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes definitely get a new battery. A 9 year old battery is not worth gambling that it might still be good. A new battery will give you peace of mind. And you don't have to to get one from the MB dealership. Read other threads about which batteries are good to get at various auto parts stores. Alot of info here in the forum.
Thank you. I actually did get a new battery and was amused at how much pep it now has in start up! I do appreciate your helping me understand it was a good move :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you. I actually did get a new battery and was amused at how much pep it now has in start up! I do appreciate your helping me understand it was a good move :)
You made the right call. The mounting position of the battery on a smart ensures longer life than batteries that live next to engines, but 9 years is a long time. I don't drive much either and I installed a connector for a battery maintainer that plugs in so that I can keep the battery charged. The connector hangs out a bit from the carpet and has a light that is green when the battery is fully charged and red when it is getting low. This is it:

Driving the car every two weeks will work too! Just remember that car batteries last the longest when they are kept fully charged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for all the extra info! And, for sure, driving it somewhere every week to 10 days is now in ink on my calendar :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
2011 Smart ForTwo Coupe. one owner - me. 30K miles. Original battery. I live in Seattle. I last drove the car on March 23rd. It's in an enclosed garage beneath my condo. I got in it on Saturday to take the cat to the vet. There was enough juice to unlock the door and make a sound but not enough to start the car. We are under stay at home rules here until the first week in May. Maybe longer. I live alone. No other cars I wouldn't mind having a car available for emergencies but I can probably live without it.

• So. Should I get a mobile mechanic to come out and jump the car? Will your average mobile mechanic know how to jump a Smart car?
  • Should I get the Mercedes dealership (the only ones who have ever worked on it) to come out and jump it?
  • If I get it going, will riding it around the block a couple of times a week be enough to keep it charged? I really have no place to go other than maybe the grocery store or bagel place a mile from here.
  • If I just leave it until May or June, will I even be able to get in it? Will it charge from totally dead?
I'm debating all these things with myself and I have very limited knowledge so I'm looking for some outside suggestions of what to do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.
Had AAA come by to jumpstart my 08 Passion but would not hold a charge so the replaced it, 9yr old battery! get rid of it 👍

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
I’ve got one of these battery jumpers, in all our cars. Chargers up USB, has a light, can recharge you mobile phones too. Life saver, if you battery is dead. Why out in know where land. Prefect device for the 451. Where the battery is inside the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts