Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

The dealer is offering us what seems like a pretty good deal, but I want to understand how the battery pack degrades. The vehicle has 2100 miles on it as a demonstrator, but comes with full warranty on top of the existing miles.

Over a 3 year lease would I be approaching the 80% trigger for a new pack? Basically will we be suffering range loss for a longer than usual period over the lease. I know that mistreating a Leaf battery pack can quickly cause range problems. Unsure if such concerns are appropriate here.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
312 Posts
There is quite a bit of info out here. Here is a quote from an earlier thread.

If you do some research, I think you will be able to find that the manufacturer of the battery pack is a company called Li-Tec, and the is some lit on the web describing their 40Ah cells having a cycle life of 3000 full charge discharge cycles at 1C, which is the point at which capacity is reduced by 20% from what is available when the cell is new.

A 3year lease, with a daily full discharge charge cycle would mean that about a third of those cycles would have occurred by the time the keys get turned back over to MB.
Not sure if this is what you were looking for.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Well mine has 2900 miles and i get about 70 miles a charge. Might have degraded like 1% in 4 months don't really know but there is nothing to worry about if you have Battery Assurance, just drive and enjoy.

And your range depends on how you drive, if you use kickdown mode a lot for example your starting range per full charge will drop significantly (my lowest was 48 at 100% and my highest was 76 at 100%)

But you can easily get it back up by driving conservatively, it will just take some time.

Also this goes for basically every electric car that gets under 100 miles but whatever your starting range is on a full charge add 10+ miles to it (regen over the duration of your drive)

·
Registered
624 Posts
As always; YMMV (your-mileage-may-vary); with a 'moderate' climate like NYC not unlike where we live in Chicago I'm not expecting much battery degradation until the car gets much older. Ours is close to two years old and about 17K miles and zero so far. Not so for the hot climate states but again this is for a LEAF which has no battery cooling, the smart Ed has battery cooling. The whole battery rental aspect on the smart is supposed to alleviate any concerns over the degrading of the ability of the battery to hold a charge but if you're leasing it w/o the battery rental (or 'assurance' I think its called) you would be on your own so perhaps more of a factor. Check the lease terms on if they break out the battery ... if they do then you've got it and no worries.

·
Registered
832 Posts
IIRC there is a 4 year warranty on the car (including battery). So for a 3 year lease you have nothing to worry about.

If you want to keep the car longer and not worry, buy the car and lease the battery (it's called battery assurance plus). That way the battery is guaranteed for 10 years.

·
Registered
646 Posts
On the three year lease battery degradation should not be an issue, and if it is, it is covered under your warranty as well as the Battery Assurance Package.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to interrupt. But I'm curious how much a replacement battery may cost? I'm hoping that in the not so far future, we get a battery upgrade with more range capabilities. But I'm wondering what the price could be of such a thing. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Sorry to interrupt. But I'm curious how much a replacement battery may cost?
Hard to say. New ones right now cost about $5K. New Prius batteries when they first launched cost $10K, and were expected to need replacing after 5 to 7 years. From the sites and numbers I've seen, most didn't need that pack update, with some still running fine 8 years later. A new Prius pack now? That's about $2500, and you can get refurbished ones for as low as $1500.

So how much will our $5K pack cost, if you need to replace it later? Hard to say. A new pack, with better range, even if it's compatible, will cost whatever a new pack costs. Nobody could tell you what an iPhone would cost 10 years ago. Nobody will be able to tell you what an unknown new battery pack will cost down the road.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sorry to interrupt. But I'm curious how much a replacement battery may cost?
Someone on the German board (goingelectric.de) had his battery replaced under warranty, but got to see the dealers own invoice: EUR 16400, about $22k.
Now, that doesn't mean anyone will pay this much for a replacement, as it's likely to have a substantial core refund.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts