Smart Car of America Forum banner

Battery Replaced , dash light still on ! (alternator)

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Jo e Lefors 
#1 ·
Hi , racking my brain .
Our 2016 453 battery light came on , so I replaced the battery .
Still same light is on . YES I have checked the voltage ! At rest the battery is just under 13 volts after a few day of sitting . I just went out and started it , voltage went up just under 14 volts … put the lights on with high beams , ac on full blast , radio on ….. voltage across the terminals never dropped below 13.8 . We have decided it’s a dealer visit now . Unless you all have some sort of ideas ??

Thanks in Advance
Stevie B

#5 ·
Not fixed yet . It goes in in two weeks to the dealer . But , all fingers point to the alternator being the issue . Wife drove it yesterday , light still on with zero issues …. So jury is still out .
The service tech said he was working on a 16 with the same issue and it turned out it was the alternator .

#8 ·
Ok , well the dealer picked it yesterday …. Alternator . They say they drop the motor to change it ( who knows if they do ) also a motor mount is broken and what they call a “ class b service “ cabin filter , oil , air filter . Ready ?!? The estimate for just the alternator is over 2k !!! We are looking at close to 3k to get our Smarty back ! 😱 Not real happy , but being at the mercy of a dealer what’s one to do ?

#10 · (Edited)
sounds about right, coming from a MB dealership. What made the alternator replacement cost so much. They had to drop the engine, to get to the alternator. Your dealing with MB labor per hour. What a football player, and a lawyer pays, on their MB’s.

you could have done class B service your self, for less then 100 bucks. Dealership charged you over 700 bills, for the alternator.

Automotive lighting Font Auto part Drawing Circle

alternator, from Rock Auto.

Font Software Screenshot Rectangle Technology

#9 ·
I’m afraid this isn’t the first time I’ve head MB gouging Smart owners. My theory is they are intentionally trying to overprice parts and labor for the Smart line to “make them go away.” It would be consistent with some MB dealers refusing to service or sell parts for the Smart (as my closest dealer did.)

#12 ·
I’m afraid this isn’t the first time I’ve head MB gouging Smart owners. My theory is they are intentionally trying to overprice parts and labor for the Smart line to “make them go away.” It would be consistent with some MB dealers refusing to service or sell parts for the Smart (as my closest dealer did.)
Unless a Mercedes-Benz dealer was an smart dealer/service center at some point, they cannot order parts. As far as service. I guess it depends on how many trained smart technicians still work at the authorized dealer. And if they quit ?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.