Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to my local smart center for a tire pressure issue. Turned out to be all four tires' pressure was reduced.

Just before being sent off by the service rep, he tells me that there has been a recall on the battery software. I should come in next week for an update. He doesn't know how long it takes. I asked him to find out and let me know, as I hate to take a loaner and be without my ED.

Has anyone else been subject to this recall? How long does the procedure take?

Am also wondering why I wasn't contacted by smart.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,764 Posts
News to me?

Doubt that there is a "recall" as there apparently is no German to English translation for that word? Perhaps another "secret handshake" software update?

What is the MY of your ED? Do keep us posted...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
News to me?

Doubt that there is a "recall" as there apparently is no German to English translation for that word? Perhaps another "secret handshake" software update?

What is the MY of your ED? Do keep us posted...
Whatcha mean there is no translation for "recall"? Of course, there is. It's called "Rückruf(aktion)".

I haven't found any recalls pertaining to my VIN. It's a MY 2014. Also checked the German ADAC (equiv. AAA) web site. Nothing there either.

Will provide an update on the matter as soon as I have one from my dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
There are safety recalls which show up on that NHTSA site. Then there are service campaigns whereby the dealer will "fix" an issue when/if the car is in for service. The recall you get notified of - the service campaign you don't. Then of course there are software updates which I found out aren't done automatically. The customer has to complain about a problem. If there are no problems, then the dealer, at least in my case, will not do any software updates unless of course they are part of a service campaign.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just went to have my 24 month service done last week, and the software update showed up on the work order list:

Code:
E 2016050005 UPDATE BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM CONTROL UNIT SOFTWARE.
CAUSE: 2016050005
    029334 OPERATIONS: UPDATE SOFTWARE OF CONTROL UNIT ... (XENTRY/DAS CONNECTED)
    024762 OPERATIONS: DIAGNOSIS SYSTEM (XENTRY/DAS) CONNECT/DISCONNECT
    025058 OPERATIONS: BATTERY CHARGER CONNECT/DISCONNECT (XENTRY/DAS DISCONNECTED)
HOURS: 0.30

·
Registered
665 Posts
Interesting. I had my 12 month at the end of June and nothing was updated then. I wonder why it is needed and what it changes and if others should now proceed to have it done?

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Software updates will not show on the recall website. I also had my annual battery service at the end of June. I do see on the service ticket the following - "Battery - resynchronize electrical components." I also got a printout of the battery report and among other things, it indicates - "No fault code present" and "High voltage battery OK." No software updates were routinely done. I asked to have any software updates done and was told that Smart will not pay to have any software updates done unless a customer complains about a specific problem for which there may be an update. Build date of my battery was November, 2013. Now if there was a "service campaign" in effect, that means that any car coming in for service would be updated automatically. It is also possible that there is a battery date range for the update? Would be nice to know the particulars.

Len
2014 EV

·
Premium Member
7,764 Posts
CAMPAIGN 2016060002 - Update BCU

Had parts ordered (MY15 warranty) and in true smart Center fashion, they came in and were sent back?

When I called a month later for parts status they said they could get the parts overnighted and oh by the way, your ED has a Recall/Campaign on the HV battery?

Picked ED up a few minutes ago and it appears that there is a new software update - 451 Battery Software---2016060002 Updating Battery Control Unit.

In true Service Writer fashion, when asked the nature of the update - he had no idea? :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Tom - thanks for that update. A campaign is different than a recall. For a recall you get a letter to bring your car in, generally safety related. For a campaign, if and when you take your car in to the dealer or complain about what the campaign is supposed to fix, then the campaign will be done. If you never complain or take your car in to a dealer, then you will likely never know about it unless someone like you passes the info on.

So please tell us anything more you find out about the campaign. You don't happen to know the date this campaign was issued do you? My car was in the end of June and I was told that no software updates would be done unless I complained about a specific issue. To me that might indicate that the campaign had not been announced yet? Were you having any specific issues with your battery that the campaign was supposed to address?

I may contact my dealer to see if I can get any info.

Thanks again for this update. Even if it's just for North carolina cars, it still affects me. :)

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
665 Posts
Not sure if this is related or not, but my charge km seems low and differs each time.
Used to be over 120 km on a full charge. Even saw 133 a few times.
Now in tracking and the numbers are 108,112,112, and 114 when I started yesterday.
It's charging now and our temps have neither been very hot or winter. OK, cold for you southern folk.
Winter charging of course drops your range. Summer only a little but regardless I'm not getting the higher numbers anymore.
I wonder if the BCU has something to do with this?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Was your "Reset" menu reset to zero km? The "km left" indication adjusts itself based on actual energy consumption patterns since the last reset. So in summer, it can read fairly high, showing around 80 miles (130 km) in my particular case right now. But if I reset the "Reset" menu, it will show 62 miles/100km - which is a default value until it gathers more data.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Almost zero

Managed to get battery down to the lowest level I have ever gone before charging. No range showed when I parked.
Well the end result this morning after charging on my Schneider system 128 km! Woohoo.
Not sure why but that's quite a jump from 114 on Monday.:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Picked ED up a few minutes ago and it appears that there is a new software update - 451 Battery Software---2016060002 Updating Battery Control Unit.

In true Service Writer fashion, when asked the nature of the update - he had no idea? :shrug:
Exchanged a couple of e-mails with my service guy at the Cary, NC dealership. I continue to be impressed with the entire dealership there, both parts, service and sales. Wish it was closer than 160 miles.

He said that this software update is new, does affect my car and that it wasn't out when I had my car in for service two and a half months ago. He said they check VIN's for any campaigns, recalls, etc. when a car comes in for service. He also said that he checked with their electric car guru and was told that I could wait until my next service (June, 2017) to have the campaign done. I am having absolutely no problems with my car regarding charging, range, etc., so unless something changes, I will wait.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
832 Posts
Over in the German group, they report the remaining range estimate is a little less pessimistic after the update.

So just keep that in mind if you're used to assuming you got 10 miles more than it says. That may no longer be true!

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
MB DNA and others who have gotten this latest update - would you please keep us informed if you notice anything different after the update?

Len
2014 EV - don't plan on getting that update until June, 2017 if then?

·
Premium Member
7,764 Posts
451 Battery Software---2016060002 Updating Battery Control Unit.

Two weeks later, observations of the update . . .

It does appear that the range "guess-ti-mator" in the dash pod has become slightly more generous overall to a factor of about +5-7%.

Seems the algorithms that measure the impact of your driving patterns may have been altered? Example, speeds in excess of 55 mph (56 - 70 mph) don't seem as impactful as before?

Also finding that overnight charges now show 72+ miles with more regularity.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts