Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting with a HV Battery diagnostic report in early July, the "Battery Status: OK" on my ED has been replaced with "Battery Status: DEGRADED: 11010100 (or other string of binary digits)". There is nothing else in the diagnostic report to indicate anything is wrong - the cell voltages remain pretty uniform, and the latest capacity estimate reads:

Last measurement : 0 day(s)
Measurement estimation: 0.827
Actual estimation : 0.827
CAP mean: 17988 As/10, 50.0 Ah
CAP min : 17609 As/10, 48.9 Ah
CAP max : 17973 As/10, 49.9 Ah

...Which is down maybe 4% from brand new, but still pretty good for a 6-year old battery pack.

This brings up another thing. How can the "mean" be higher than the "max"??? In past reports, the "mean" might be lower than the "min". Also, why is there another capacity indication after the list of cell voltages and "As/10" values? In the case of my most recent report this second capacity list reads:

CAP mean: 17781 As/10, 49.4 Ah
CAP min : 17473 As/10, 48.5 Ah, # 66
CAP max : 18127 As/10, 50.4 Ah, # 43

...and the "mean" is correctly located between the min and max.

i am coming to the conclusion that the much of this information in the HV battery diagnostic reports is either generated by a never-fixed buggy routine or is designed to only be interpreted by a MB "Priesthood".

At any rate, I don't think that "Status: DEGRADED" message is anything to worry about.

Any thoughts from anyone?

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
Yinzer - I can't swear to this, but I seem to recall another owner showed "DEGRADED" on his test and a future test it went away. Maybe it has something to do with the test parameters this time? Also on the mean, max and min numbers, we've seen that a lot on the first group of them and are not sure why it reads that way. In fact it happens on quite a few test results. That's why we recommend you use the second batch of mean, min and max numbers, i.e. the ones after the individual cell readings. I don't think we have ever seen those numbers be out of order.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 19,500 miles

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yinzer - I can't swear to this, but I seem to recall another owner showed "DEGRADED" on his test and a future test it went away. Maybe it has something to do with the test parameters this time?
Len
This degraded flag has been present for the last three tests - under varied SOC conditions from 7% to full. But as I wrote, it dies not seem to be significant.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This degraded flag has been present for the last three tests - under varied SOC conditions from 7% to full. But as I wrote, it dies not seem to be significant.
Smart ED Owners,
I have used the Sokoloff tester for over a year now. I believe that condition parameter ("OK, DEGRADED, FAULT, etc.") was never confirmed by the original creator of the code ("Odyssey") the tester uses. Mine has never been OK. It was always DEGRADED or more recently, FAULT. However, at my annual HV battery tests at the MB dealer I always come out with the report that says "High-voltage battery OK". So I believe we cannot come to any conclusions based on what the tester is pulling/reporting.

I also have noticed that the "min" and "mean" appear to be switched on the first set of capacity readings at the top of the report. I have always disregarded those readings anyway because again, I remember reading a thread where "Odyssey" admitted he/she was not sure what these numbers represented and that we should direct our attention to the SECOND set of capacity readings closer to the bottom of the report.

Today I returned from my annual high voltage battery test with my report in hand. I had to go back for a second visit because - no matter how much I detail what I want - the dealer usually does NOT give me the 1 page report with the battery capacity and "High-voltage battery OK" on the page. And they erase all the data after you leave so they need to hook up again to get the report. Sometimes I just give up and forget about it but this time I actually brought the car back in and had them produce the report. Why? Because I always thought that THIS report had the "official" capacity of the battery in case I ever need to file a claim under BAP.

Anyway, it appears that the "Official" capacity number that MB uses is indeed the "CAP min" number in the second set of capacities nearer to the bottom of our Sokoloff-made tester report. This number has matched what the MB report says is the battery capacity on 3 annual tests for which I actually got the MB report and had pulled the data using the tester.

I am down to 46Ah with 3 years of BAP warranty left. If I get to 41.5Ah I am eligible to get a new or repaired battery. Both are likely impossible because there are no batteries and no factory that produces them. We will see.

Good Luck,
Mike

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,908 Posts
I am down to 46Ah with 3 years of BAP warranty left. If I get to 41.5Ah I am eligible to get a new or repaired battery. Both are likely impossible because there are no batteries and no factory that produces them. We will see.
Mike, how many miles have you put on your MY13 ED w/BAP?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Smart ED Owners,
I have used the Sokoloff tester for over a year now. I believe that condition parameter ("OK, DEGRADED, FAULT, etc.") was never confirmed by the original creator of the code ("Odyssey") the tester uses. Mine has never been OK. It was always DEGRADED or more recently, FAULT. However, at my annual HV battery tests at the MB dealer I always come out with the report that says "High-voltage battery OK". So I believe we cannot come to any conclusions based on what the tester is pulling/reporting.
That's interesting. If you have an annual test from MB that was clean and a relatively same-time test using our/Odyssey's box and that is showing the DEGRADED message, I think that's enough for me to conclude that I should remove that message from the output as it's clearly not adding any actual value. I would probably leave the bits output [in case we later learn what they actually mean], but just remove the message that might worry an owner unnecessarily.
Anyway, it appears that the "Official" capacity number that MB uses is indeed the "CAP min" number in the second set of capacities nearer to the bottom of our Sokoloff-made tester report. This number has matched what the MB report says is the battery capacity on 3 annual tests for which I actually got the MB report and had pulled the data using the tester.
That matches what we've seen and is the assumption we've been operating under while interpreting the output data. Thanks for the confirmation that it also matches for your test results.

I wouldn't expect enough degradation to hit the replacement threshold. It's been over 7 years so far and you've lost around 5 Ah of capacity with 4.5 Ah of capacity loss to go in only 3 years. I think that's actually a good thing that the battery isn't degrading as quickly as the same-era Nissan LEAFs do, especially if you're concerned that they won't be able to satisfy the battery replacement and would end up buying back a 10-year-old car at that point. I know someone who bought a car with a recently replaced (summer of 2019) battery fairly recently, but I just spent five minutes searching for a thread on it, couldn't find it, and I only know their real name (not their username or even if they're on the forum), so the batteries might be available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mike, how many miles have you put on your MY13 ED w/BAP?
I bought the car in Dec 2016 with 9800 miles on it. It was a lease return vehicle that ended up at auction. It looks like it only spent a couple months changing hands and at the new dealer. I now have nearly 40,000 miles on it. BAP expires October 2023.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
Wonder why Yinzer's battery status (see his post above) changed from OK to DEGRADED? Something must have happened to cause it? All the tests on mine have always shown OK and I bet I've done 20 or so tests on each car.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 20,000 miles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts