Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions. My kids want me to spend the summer up in Colorado with them. I could be gone 2 to 3 months. I have a battery tender that I will keep on the 12 volt battery. Is there any problem leaving the Smart ED that long without charging the traction battery. Wasn't sure how long before it might discharge too far. 2nd question is they make a cigarette lighter adapter so you can just plug the tender in to that but not sure if it will work on the Smart. Not sure if it's hot with the key off. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok then second questions if I keep the 12 volt battery on tender will the traction battery be ok if not charged for 2 to 3 months.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Buy a battery tender that has a quick disconnect that you can hardwire to the battery & run the end of the lead around the carpet for easy access.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,044 Posts
Battery Tender...

I installed a Battery Tender on my gas car...

800 milliamps...

Battery Tender 800mAmp 022-0150-DL-WH

Comes with a harness to connect to your battery, I cut the "O" terminals to a "C" for better fit.

It gets a little warm, set it on something metal. Also the latest version turns off after 80 hours, so I use a light timer, on for 23, off for 1 hour...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still looking for opinion on the traction battery not being charged for 2 to 3 months.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Those EDs sitting on the lots for months, they’re okay. I hope yours will be okay as well...

May research setting it to transport mode, similar to how they’re shipped from Hambach (or wherever the smart ED factory is) to the US.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Those EDs sitting on the lots for months, they’re okay. I hope yours will be okay as well...

May research setting it to transport mode, similar to how they’re shipped from Hambach (or wherever the smart ED factory is) to the US.
How true that is. Some smart cars sit close to many months, unsold. Many new cars do, for months on end.

If it were me, I’d pull the 12volt out of the car. Put it on a work bench. With a battery tender hooked to it. The large EV battery. Just charge it up to full, when you return. Your not going to hurt it, if it’s not untended too.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Ricky,

Yes, the traction pack self-discharges extremely slowly. But then again, the manual (pg 113-114) does state this:

"Avoid storing and transporting the vehicle
at high temperatures for extended periods
of time (e. g. container transport).
When out of use for longer periods of time,
connect the vehicle to a voltage supply.
If the vehicle is not connected to a voltage
supply, it must remain within a tempera-
ture range from -4F (-20 C) to 104F
(40 C) ."

But then again-again, we now know that connecting it "to a voltage supply" (do they mean an EVSE?) when "out of use for an extended period of time" (how long???) is bad advice and Will NOT protect the pack, because even (actually particularly) a full charged traction pack can execute a self-destruct if the 12V battery goes dead.

You can plug the car in for charging too along with the 12V battery tender. (I assume you have only the 120V charging adapter, not a 240 volt charging station?) but this will mean the car will sit through a hot Texas summer at 100% SOC, which can degrade the pack.

As for me. I would just leave the traction pack at about 80 percent SOC and store the car in as cool and shady a spot as you can find. Just be sure the 12V battery is connected to a charger, and have a trusted neighbor periodically check that the battery tender is on and operating. You want a charger that stays on "float" indefinitely and switches back to charging if something discharges the battery.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If it were me, I’d pull the 12volt out of the car. Put it on a work bench. With a battery tender hooked to it. The large EV battery. Just charge it up to full, when you return. Your not going to hurt it, if it’s not untended too.
If you have been following the threads here, you would know that taking the 12V battery out of the car (unless you connect another 12V source to the battery connections) for more than some, as-yet undetermined number of days, is exactly what NOT to do. Becasue of some kind of design "feature" it will cause the traction pack to self-destruct, totaling the car.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,947 Posts
Those EDs sitting on the lots for months, they’re okay.
NOT in smart ED ownership reality!

Multiple owners of ED’s with a bricked HV battery would beg to differ with you.

Thus the cautionary questions ...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,613 Posts
Whether by design or defect if the 12V battery is dead or removed for long enough the HV battery will brick itself.

Based on the wonderful research of our ED/EQ owners, it seems the best plan of action is to leave the HV battery in a partially discharged state while leaving the 12V on a tender. Exception of course if it's freezing winter. Then the car probably shouldn't be left off the charger for too too long.

As for how the EDs sitting on lots are just fine? I'm betting at least some of them got bricked HVs waiting for someone to take them home.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
If you have been following the threads here, you would know that taking the 12V battery out of the car (unless you connect another 12V source to the battery connections) for more than some, as-yet undetermined number of days, is exactly what NOT to do. Becasue of some kind of design "feature" it will cause the traction pack to self-destruct, totaling the car.
Really totaling the car? You spell because like this. These EV’s sit on new car lots, for months unsold.

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
We have at least two Smart car salesmen on the forum, NW453 in Oregon, and SmartCarDan in Massachusetts. Hopefully one or both of them can give us the real scoop about this situation.

My coupe sat on the dealer's lot for over two years and my cabriolet for over three years - I bought them new BTW. Both cars have been perfectly fine so far. There was a note in the coupe's service info that a salesman had left the radio on and that discharged the 12v battery. The particulars about that I do not know, but it still has the original HV battery in it and is testing just fine.

Len
2014 EV 18,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 12,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
17,613 Posts
My 453 ICE sat for a year before I bought it. I assume that responsible dealerships will occasionally check on cars that sit for a while and try their best to prevent "lot rot". Brand new 12V batteries are also remarkable in how long they can survive without needing a charge.

Used batteries? Eh not so much. One of my 450s had my now 7.5 year old 451 battery. Let the car sit for three weeks and now the battery is trash. Even my new 451 battery (born on date Mar 2018) gets iffy if I let it sit long enough. A tender is good insurance. :eek:

Reactions: jwight

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,947 Posts
Please note that this is a smart fortwo Electric Drive thread and ICE experiences with 12V batteries may not apply to ED???

What is known - the electronics of all smart 451's demand a healthy 12V battery that can be compromised by age and weather.

That being said, for a myriad of (speculated?) reasons the ED 12V battery can cause the HV battery to be bricked leaving you with a rather expensive paperweight! Daimler/M-B seems to be in complete denial over this BMS (software?) or HV battery onboard bullet???

Obviously, with such a small sales base of 451 ED's their hope may be that the "problem" dies a planned death???

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
We have at least two Smart car salesmen on the forum, NW453 in Oregon, and SmartCarDan in Massachusetts. Hopefully one or both of them can give us the real scoop about this situation.

My coupe sat on the dealer's lot for over two years and my cabriolet for over three years - I bought them new BTW. Both cars have been perfectly fine so far. There was a note in the coupe's service info that a salesman had left the radio on and that discharged the 12v battery. The particulars about that I do not know, but it still has the original HV battery in it and is testing just fine.

Len

Yes, I know that this is starting to sound like a typical conspiracy theory but the fact that new 451 ED's sat for a long time seems to be another bit of information in this "whodoneit".

NW453 has reported that ED 451's on used car lots are frequently bricked after the 12V battery runs down. And I even found an example of it here:

https://www.smartcarcity.com/2016_Smart_fortwo%20electric%20drive_Staten%20Island_NY_29989220.veh

1 - 20 of 36 Posts