Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 2.0 tranny update done as well as the battery replacement update. After coming home I always check out what was done. When I looked at the new battery I noticed that the breather tube was broken off. Obviously the new battery is a different shape, so when the tech placed the styrofoam foot rest back in he snapped it off by accident. I called the dealer & they sent a new breather hose. I had to carve out the styrofoam so it would not happen again.
Just thought it would be a good idea to pass this along so we don't get overcome by venting battery gases. Lets see how long it takes SMART corporate to figure this one out!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,905 Posts
Just had my 2.0 tranny update done as well as the battery replacement update. After coming home I always check out what was done. When I looked at the new battery I noticed that the breather tube was broken off.
Thanks for the reminder. I saw the original thread but never got around to looking at mine. Your post prompted me to check. My vent wasn't broken, but it was disconnected. The black elbow at the top of the tube was not inserted into the battery. Since I can't see through the carpet and foam, I can't swear that I didn't disconnect it removing the foam. Either way, I was in and out of the compartment prior to the upgrade multiple times and will probably be in and out of this one as well. So, it's good to know that the vent connection exists and needs to be treated gently. IMHO, it's something that should be added to the owner's manual for folks to check when they have had to access the battery - for a jump start, a disconnect for repairs, mods, or whatever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
523 Posts
Just happened to me. Lucky I didn't get far from the dealer until I realized it. Dealer fixed it quickly. Yea Devon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
I checked my battery as well and sure enough the black fitting was disconnected from the battery itself. It didn't look broken or anything- I just plugged it right back in and it seemed secure enough. Anyone think there would be a problem with just taping or otherwise securing it in place so it doesn't come out again?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,905 Posts
I considered taping or gluing mine but decided against it thinking that, if I'm dislodging it removing the foam, I'd rather have the elbow come out than break off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Just went out to the garage and checked wife's battery upgrade preformed last Wednesday, April1st and noticed the black battery vent nipple broken off flush with the battery and no way to repair it that I know of. Any suggestions? Our dealership is three hours drive one way...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,472 Posts
Just went out to the garage and checked wife's battery upgrade preformed last Wednesday, April1st and noticed the black battery vent nipple broken off flush with the battery and no way to repair it that I know of. Any suggestions? Our dealership is three hours drive one way...
JB Weld :D


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
523 Posts
One thing all of us have to remember when we remove the foam floor to expose the battery. If you don't get the carpet out of the way to bring the floor straight out you will break the battery vent. Because of the tight fit any side movement of the floor to get it out from underneath the carpet near the center of the car will definitely catch the vent and break it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Thanks for the sugestion but I was able to resolve my problem. Went back out to the garage and took everything apart again. I was able to pull the black 90* nipple out of the battery by what thread of plastic was still left. Then pulled the other end of the nipple out of the hose. Took the nipple and cut the sliver of plastic off (wasn't worth anything the way it was) then gently forced the big end of the nipple into the hose thus giving me the other end to refit into the battery. After looking closely at the styroform foot panel I thought I could see where it had pressed against the battery vent nipple. Using a razor knife I cut out a square about one inch in size all the way thru the styrofoam and replaced it back into place. I could actually see the battery vent nipple with attached hose exactually where the dent was before so this should take care of my problem. Please be extra careful whenever removing the styroform foot panel as that it can very easily break off the black plastic vent nipple...there is really no room for error here. Whether you do it or the dealership had done it when replacing the battery due to the size of the 61 amp battery, it is so very easy to damage!!!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top