Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread here from a new owner that was asking about where the tire repair kit goes had a comment about the importance of the battery vent tube on OEM batteries in Smarts. When I had to replace the battery in my '08 Passion, I examined the factory battery which has a vent tube that I expected would vent to atmosphere to remove any hydrogen build up from charging from the cabin. What I found was that the vent tube just went to the floor of the battery well under the passenger seat thereby accomplishing nothing other than to lower the battery vent/exhaust by 6" or so but still into the cabin. I decided that the vent was window dressing in reality since it didn't accomplish anything except for potentially leaking battery acid in a rollover.

I'm a firm OPTIMA battery believer and every vehicle (including GasHog) that I've replaced a battery, I've done it with an Optima and that is quite literally the last battery I will buy for that vehicle. The oldest Optima in service that I have is 21 years currently in an antique truck.

So I put an Optima battery in and I've never looked back. It's now 13 years of service on the Optima and still going strong. Optima batteries are different batteries; a felt like roll of fabric with lead infused and get acid so there is no liquid to leak from an Optima.

·
Administrator
29,526 Posts
There is a hole in the battery well for the vent tube, as shown in the video at about the 3:30 mark:
:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hmm, I never realised that the battery was in the passenger footwell on left hand drive cars. It is also in the passenger footwell on right hand drive which basically means two different body shells.

Am I looking at the video wrong? It looks that way but there is no really clear view.

Is the SAM on the right too?

·
Administrator
29,526 Posts
No, the SAM is under the driver's side dash, while the battery is indeed on the passenger's side. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
That just seems really bizarre to me given the amount of work involved.

I suppose the wiring loom will be very similar for both cars, maybe just the battery leads which will be significantly longer and routed differently.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Another thread here from a new owner that was asking about where the tire repair kit goes had a comment about the importance of the battery vent tube on OEM batteries in Smarts. When I had to replace the battery in my '08 Passion, I examined the factory battery which has a vent tube that I expected would vent to atmosphere to remove any hydrogen build up from charging from the cabin. What I found was that the vent tube just went to the floor of the battery well under the passenger seat thereby accomplishing nothing other than to lower the battery vent/exhaust by 6" or so but still into the cabin. I decided that the vent was window dressing in reality since it didn't accomplish anything except for potentially leaking battery acid in a rollover.

I'm a firm OPTIMA battery believer and every vehicle (including GasHog) that I've replaced a battery, I've done it with an Optima and that is quite literally the last battery I will buy for that vehicle. The oldest Optima in service that I have is 21 years currently in an antique truck.

So I put an Optima battery in and I've never looked back. It's now 13 years of service on the Optima and still going strong. Optima batteries are different batteries; a felt like roll of fabric with lead infused and get acid so there is no liquid to leak from an Optima.
I have both good & bad luck with Optima's. I have even had them fail without warning. However, I do have a 6v Optima in one of my Horseless Carriages that is probably about 10-12 years old & still testing good. It's only purpose is to power up the coil for starting the engine and once the engine is running, I switch over to the magneto. Biggest negative with Optima's is the cost. I think they are now close to $200.00 for the red-tops.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I had to check that tube when I took my smart to my local Walmart (thanks to a failing battery) that they forgot to put back on before giving the car back(along with the a/c drain)
It is easy to overlook if the tech who does the battery swap doesn’t know that’s what it’s for(have this issue with my miata due to the battery being in the trunk)
I do plan on getting a red top for my smart soon as I can(or when the Walmart battery gives up the ghost)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a firm OPTIMA battery devotee and each vehicle (counting GasHog) that I've supplanted a battery, I've done it with an Optima and that is plainly the last battery I will purchase for that vehicle. The most seasoned Optima in help that I have is 21 years presently in an old fashioned truck.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,106 Posts
Just remember, there can be a vent hole on both sides of the battery…

Make sure to look, and steal the plug off the old battery…

·
Registered
2009 Fortwo
10 Posts
I'm a firm OPTIMA battery devotee and each vehicle (counting GasHog) that I've supplanted a battery, I've done it with an Optima and that is plainly the last battery I will purchase for that vehicle. The most seasoned Optima in help that I have is 21 years presently in an old fashioned truck.
I certainly hope you're right... I just bit the bullet and installed a yellow-top Optima in my 451. It was $270, which was painful, but if it lasts the next decade, it'll be worth it!

·
Registered
790 Posts
^ keep it charged if the car sits for a long period and you should be ok.
I had a red top in my Escalade I had before I got my smart and only had to replace it once which was under warranty(the replacement went on to last for nearly 11 years of abuse before it gave up the ghost)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts