Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this group and I just purchased a 2017 Smart for Two Prime. When replacing the starter battery, is it necessary to buy an exact replacement that can be vented. I'm guessing that's why the battery is so expensive. I see the need for venting on earlier models where the battery is located under the floor on the passenger side.
My battery is under the front hood where there is plenty of open space. Any experience or thoughts on this would be appreciated. Dave

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
Not at all! :) I've been putting much cheaper Walmart batteries in these cars for years without issues. Looks like any group 47 battery will work just fine in the 2016+ cars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Is your Smart Fortwo 453 gas or electric? I believe both Group size 47 and H5 will fit 453, gas or electric. But the original battery would be AGM type, which usually is more expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 453 is gas. The original battery is labelled 12V-L2 EFB 60Ah 510A (EN) It describes EFB as - Enhanced Flooded Battery
I wonder if EFB is the same as AGM. Does the Smart Fortwo have unusual current drains that require a AGM battery.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
An EFB is NOT an AGM battery but has similar advantages but at lower price and different construction than an AGM. If your smart is a U.S. version it does not have “stop-start”. Guess Daimler just put the same battery type in all smarts regardless of whether or not they had stop-start tech. Gassers don’t really need an AGM battery although some folks like them and install them.

“What is an EFB battery?
An enhanced flooded battery (EFB) is an entry level battery for cars that support start-stop technology. EFBs are wet-filled and similar to standard flooded batteries. But there are differences that give these batteries enhanced cycling abilities and improved charge acceptance. This means the battery recovers more quickly, as its application needs to handle heavy-duty, cyclic, start-stop applications.“

·
Registered
536 Posts
I put an Auto Zone battery in
I remove the old battery after some surgery to the windshield cowling and brackets. Funny thing is someone bought the battery whence the alternator was the culprit... ..yay me. Knocked price down to $75. Showed my military ID. Price down to 48 dollars with a 30 day warranty. Two years later still going strong! (I also plumbed in the pigtail for a trickle charger to excite the battery in winter)

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
Yeah, I know a few folks running a good ol' $50 Walmart special in their gas 453s. They haven't noticed any difference outside of the car not liking icy winter starts as much...but that's par for the course with a super cheap battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts