Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2008 Smart for two Passion. It has the original battery which makes it 6 years old. Should I wait for symptoms to replace it? Or am I pushing my luck with a battery this old?Triple AAA from what I have learned does not carry the battery for these cars in their service trucks. Anyone had a battery last 7,8,9 years with no problems?

·
Registered
738 Posts
My Feb 08 pure is on original battery. It's now holding at 13.8-13.9 volts when running. Maybe another year? :)

·
Registered
800 Posts
My Feb 08 pure is on original battery. It's now holding at 13.8-13.9 volts when running. Maybe another year? :)
While running it is the alternator providing that charge. should be around 14 VDC. after sitting for a while the battery should still be at least 12.6 volts. New batteries die without warning and the best test is to load test it to check it's health.

Question, see if your headlights dim while shifting. That was my issue and I replaced mine and now the car does not do that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say your climate is easy is that because you live where there is no snow or cold weather?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I generally replace the battery in each of my vehicles every four years. I replace them when it is convenient for me, not when the battery inconviently expires. I have never had a no-start.

You can do what you want, obviously, but if the battery dies unexpectedly and you have to tow the car, then what have you saved by not replacing it? Batteries are funny. They can test good and die without warning the next week. Sometimes there are symptoms prior to the cursed event but not always.

The smart uses a group # 47 battery. A NAPA 7547 battery is a perfect fit.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,216 Posts
I changed mine out at the four year mark. It is not located to make jump starting easy and since I park mine with the right side very close to the garage wall, I felt it best to bite the bullet and spend the cash when I did.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Why gamble with a battery that may not be readily available when you are on that "road trip?"

smart will be 6 years next month and a NAPA 7547 is reserved and awaiting pick up tomorrow. $107 for piece of mind, priceless..

For those who attend OTD, what are the chances that the Wally Mart in Robbinsville will have your battery on Sunday morning as you are packed up and headed home?

Don't be that smart owner who whines about your bad Karma and how difficult it was to find that "niche" battery...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
When you say your climate is easy is that because you live where there is no snow or cold weather?
Yes, we live in the central highlands of Mexico, on Lake Chapala, an hour south of Guadalajara and 5000 feet above sea level; yet, we are only half a day driving time from the Pacific beaches. Our climate is about the best in the world; really! Homes do not have air conditioning or furnaces, as neither are necessary. It only rains from mid-June to mid-September, and only at night, with rare exceptions. As such, you can plan anything and not get rained out. Every day is a nice day. It is no wonder that thousands of Americans, Canadians and others have chosen to retire here; some are even from Hawaii and Florida, etc. Life is good.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Yes, we live in the central highlands of Mexico, on Lake Chapala, an hour south of Guadalajara and 5000 feet above sea level; yet, we are only half a day driving time from the Pacific beaches. Our climate is about the best in the world; really! Homes do not have air conditioning or furnaces, as neither are necessary. It only rains from mid-June to mid-September, and only at night, with rare exceptions. As such, you can plan anything and not get rained out.
See you for some fish tacos and an ice cold Negra Modelo. :beer:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts