Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I actually prefer the solid red, like my previous 453 cabrio shown in picture below....

Reason being is that the front of the car gets quite a few stone chips over the years and a touchup paint stick blends in better with solid paint rather than metallic paint. One of the reasons I went for solid white for my replacement 453 cabrio.

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually prefer the solid red, like my previous 453 cabrio shown in picture below....

Reason being is that the front of the car gets quite a few stone chips over the years and a touchup paint stick blends in better with solid paint rather than metallic paint. One of the reasons I went for solid white for my replacement 453 cabrio.

You need to install clear 3/M bra
wrap, on the front of your car.
protects the hood, bumper, side fenders, A pillars, side mirrors.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You need to install clear 3/M bra
wrap, on the front of your car.
protects the hood, bumper, side fenders, A pillars, side mirrors.
Thanks, but no thanks, as a clear bra just does not look right to me. Too shiny. I will just stick with my paint stick. Mind you on the 453 the white colour I picked to replace my red cabrio is very robust and does not get as many stone chips as the other colours.

Unfortunately the car industy has moved away from oil paints to water based paints (another green complient law, grrrh!), and some of the 453 colours are very soft paint indeed, causing a lot of stone chips being formed. Silver is very bad, it just flakes off if hit with a stone. So you have to watch which colour you pick.

My latest white cabrio 2019....(the last year of the petrol 453's)

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the clear 3M bra protection on all our cars. The smart, Abarth, Soul, Accord Touring, Fit, and my daughters renegade. the clear bra’s aren’t shiny at all. Anymore then the cars finish. All you see is a very fine line transition. None of them have yellowed. No stone chips, bug stains on the clear coats.

You can never use touch paint well enough to repair rock chips. The best touch up, is Doctor Color chip.

One stage automotive paint hasn’t been used in decades.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts