Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading many articles on how important it is to have 'winter' tires for cold weather driving, I tried like the dickens to find information on such tires in the U.S. After contacting most of the major tire distributors, I grew impatient with their answers about how they would not be carrying such tires until the cars started selling in the U.S.

So, I started looking on Canadian sites. I discovered that "Fast Eddy" of Flying Tiger Development, often runs a 'winter tire special' that includes four tires in the appropriate sizes and steel rims for a reasonable price. After doing more research, I ordered my tires. Even though they had to come all the way from British Columbia to Michigan, I got them in a very timely fashion and now I"m all set to put them on my Passion Cabrio when it arrives in January.

I know we all are going to be 'under a microscope' of potential scrutiny with this micro vehicle for a while, and I want to do everything I can to make a positive impression, and not have to hear the "I told you so's"..........should something fall short compared to a normal size vehicle.

Besides, what the tire industry has to say about rubber compounds being made for different temperatures makes a lot of sense, along with the fact that all the tires will last longer to help offset the cost of the additional tires. I figure it's going to be a while before American tire distributors have a plentiful supply of winter tires for Smarts and I've had my fill of 'waiting' for the car, so that I don't want to have to "wait' for tires once I decided I wanted them.

If you think there's any chance you are going to get your car during the winter months of 2008, I suggest you start thinking about tires, NOW and avoid the 'rush'. When I got my tires, Fast Eddy was including free shipping, which was approximately $80 I understand. I also bought my small Smart hubcaps from him.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Little need for snow tires in Phoenix but this I am sure is a great help to those in cold winter states. Do you have contact information for "Fast Eddy"?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fast Eddy's e-mail

Fast Eddy's e-mail is: "[email protected]"

He's also on the Self promotion site on Club Smart Car in Canada and has a website where you can purchase all kinds of Smart Car accessories and such, especially Brabus type items and he does the re-mapping.

·
Super Moderator
29,203 Posts
Snow tires?

Harley,

Can you post pics and info on the tires? We get a fair amount of snow here but a lot less than 20 years ago, so most folks just stick with the all season tires and it seems to work out OK. Being retired gives us the option to just stay off the roads if it ever gets really bad. :)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Cost.

HD:

What was your total cost for tires rims and caps from Fast Eddy?

I realize he had a sale on, so just round it off for us. :)

Thanks.
A2Jack.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Just wheels?

HD:

What was your total cost for tires rims and caps from Fast Eddy?

I realize he had a sale on, so just round it off for us. :)

Thanks.
A2Jack.
I'd like to get just a set of wheels and put some Nokian WR G2's on it. I've used the Nokians for 20 years and swear by them in snow or on slippery surfaces.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Special price for my winter tire package

The "special" Fast Eddy had on was $800 for Continentals (or Hankook Snow Bears) including, steel wheels, mounting and balancing. I paid an additional $78 for the small discs (moons) hubcaps.

I was surprised at first when my hubcaps arrived and they were plastic, but then I realized they wouldn't rust, they are lightweight, and they will help keep the mileage ratings up there by being so light. It also made me laugh outloud that for some reason I was expecting metal hubcaps on a car that has plastic body panels. Duh! What was I thinking?

Eddy's special at the time, was free freight to anyplace in Canada or the U.S. for packages one the 451 only.

I liked it because they are the right sizes and the right offsets, and appear to be exactly like the wheels on the PURE. I felt a wee bit stupid buying tires and wheels in advance of getting the car, but I was truly worried that there would be none to be found if I waited until 30,000 cars started being delivered.

You can read about his specials on 'Club Smart Car's' forum under self-promotion but I would recommend contacting him via e-mail to see if the special is still on, since he said it was while quantities last. Once you get the names of the tires you can go out and read all about them on those manufacturers global websites.

Good luck! (Note: there is a premium to be paid due to the lower price of the U.S. dollar compared to the Canadian dollar, so make sure to be aware of that when you purchase.)

·
Banned
844 Posts
cool beans

i almost wish i had snow tires on my 190E, i got stuck in my own parking lot! i might consider a set for my pure, though winter is almost over. wheel weight doesn't mean much for economy (i had a '98 metro, originally with skinny 13" wheels and tires, and i slapped on wide 15" mag wheels and tires, same gas milage, slightly slower acceleration, better winter traction, (ran like a snowmobile!) my smart extricated itself from my dad's un-plowed driveway last saturday (he's retired and has a jeep cherokee, he just drives over the snow) i just had to go from my side of the driveway to where he packed the snow down on his side. i'm thinking of putting 195/50-15's on the back of my smart, same size as my metro tires should give a better bite. that would be funny, fat tires on the back and beetle tires on the front.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
262 Posts
i almost wish i had snow tires on my 190E, i got stuck in my own parking lot! i might consider a set for my pure, though winter is almost over. wheel weight doesn't mean much for economy (i had a '98 metro, originally with skinny 13" wheels and tires, and i slapped on wide 15" mag wheels and tires, same gas milage, slightly slower acceleration, better winter traction, (ran like a snowmobile!) my smart extricated itself from my dad's un-plowed driveway last saturday (he's retired and has a jeep cherokee, he just drives over the snow) i just had to go from my side of the driveway to where he packed the snow down on his side. i'm thinking of putting 195/50-15's on the back of my smart, same size as my metro tires should give a better bite. that would be funny, fat tires on the back and beetle tires on the front.:rolleyes:

Skinny tires are generally advised for snow because there is less forward motion resistance. Now an argument could be made for skinny tires up front to minimize forward resistance and fatter in the rear because they are riding in the grooves made by the front tires and the greater patch area is not overcome by resistance, especailly in a rear wheel drive vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts