Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a smart prime 2016, the car has only done 14000 and my timing belt seems to have a rip on the edge. Is it still safe do drive the car or am I worrying for nothing. I have attached some photos. I would have thought this model would have a timing chain. Help would be much appreciated.
Automotive tire Wood Tread Rim Tints and shades

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
Why does that look like the poly serpentine belt?

The edge shredding suggests something out of alignment (bearing failing?) causing pressure on the left side???

I’d caution against driving it far as if the “accessory” belt breaks serious damage (engine overheating) may occur...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that belt for the water pump and what else?
I believe this car has a timing chain and not a timing belt!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Thankfully that is indeed a serpentine belt. I don't have a diagram on me at that moment, but I believe the important accessories it should go around are the alternator and water pump. The car can still drive for a while without the alternator, but you'll almost immediately overheat without a water pump.

It is abnormal for a belt to fail so soon. Make sure the pulleys are aligned and aren't damaged. I would get that fixed as soon as possible because that belt will soon be close to catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Considering that several years ago, the serpentine belt on my 2016 was ripped in half, leaving the other half on a road god knows where, by a stone or piece of cement or something getting lodged between it and one of the pulleys, and I was still able to drive it to my dealer about an hour away, I'd say that missing a small piece probably wouldn't raise any alarms to me about potential for catastrophic failure. But either way, I'd still try to get it fixed ASAP.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
Hey Mark, it’s been a week since we discussed your shredded belt - did you find cause/solution or should we send a tow?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts