Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
George (the hubby, for those who don't know him personally) is currently driving a 2004 Civic with nearly 200,000 miles.

Gradually over the past year or two, it has begun to slow down and slow down and slow down and slow down until it will barely make it to 40 mph. It's not our primary car, so we've really felt it unnecessary to get it fixed.

Now I think it is time for him to get a new car. He deserves one, by gummit.

We do keep the small grand kids on frequent occasion, otherwise the answer to the dilemma would be a no brainer; We'd just go get that damned chocolate brown smart! But, we need something with at least 4 seats.

So at last, to the question. What do you guys know about a dependable, affordable, safe 4 seater type car? I'm open to all mature recommendations!! :D :D :D

I personally am hoping for something in the very low $20k or less range. I've considered the Velocitor (sp?), but I don't know much about the new Hyundais.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...it all depends and one thing I see most relevant is the age of the little spoiled grand kids...if they can get in and out of the spoiler's car then a two door will do fine...but if they need assistance getting in and out a four door will keep you from backaches...and them from head injuries...
...some of them Hyundais are pretty darn good cars...fit and finish with great mpg..

Jetfuel...my 1c...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...it all depends and one thing I see most relevant is the age of the little spoiled grand kids...if they can get in and out of the spoiler's car then a two door will do fine...but if they need assistance getting in and out a four door will keep you from backaches...and them from head injuries...
...some of them Hyundais are pretty darn good cars...fit and finish with great mpg..

Jetfuel...my 1c...
Ages are 4 as of tomorrow, with Autism, 2 as of last month, and 19 months. Pretty little spoiled grand kids! And your $.01 is worth more to me than you might think!

·
Registered
54 Posts
My mom has a Mini Cooper Countryman. They would be near the top of the price range you gave, starting at $22,100. However I think that they do look pretty stylish for a four door, and it can pack a punch when you throw it into sport mode. My dad drives the new Fiat 500L. Now that is a fun car to drive! It has the same engine as the Fiat 500 ABARTH, which he previously had, and you can feel the power that it still gives you, even in the much larger 500L. I do have to throw in that I have a little brother with autism (8 years old). He can get in and out of the Mini by himself easier, since it sits lower, but the 500L offers a little more space for the back seat passengers. BTW, the Fiat starts at $19,195. As with all cars, they both have their perks, but it depends on what values rank higher to you.

·
Registered
605 Posts
George (the hubby, for those who don't know him personally) is currently driving a 2004 Civic with nearly 200,000 miles.

Gradually over the past year or two, it has begun to slow down and slow down and slow down and slow down until it will barely make it to 40 mph. It's not our primary car, so we've really felt it unnecessary to get it fixed.

We do keep the small grand kids on frequent occasion, otherwise the answer to the dilemma would be a no brainer; We'd just go get that damned chocolate brown smart! But, we need something with at least 4 seats.

So at last, to the question. What do you guys know about a dependable, affordable, safe 4 seater type car? I'm open to all mature recommendations!! :D :D :D

I personally am hoping for something in the very low $20k or less range. I've considered the Velocitor (sp?), but I don't know much about the new Hyundais.
Toyota Prius C.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
In Canada at least a half-decently equipped Prius C ends up at 25 grand.

For low cost motoring, he should avoid any new European car like the plague. MINIs have dreadful reliability ratings, for example. I think a Kia or Hyundai might fit the bill nicely.

The Veloster is useless for passengers, and as the grandkids grow, it will become even more useless. Get a 4 door sedan.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts

Kermit Had a Veloster, but he didn't have it very long! I am currently living in the land of Korean cars, and I really couldn't recommend them despite their apparent fan base. I would recommend a Honda Fit, which would give you plenty of room for the grandkids, and a place to put their stuff. They get decent gas mileage, and they are VERY reliable -- you should get 200K-300K miles out of one (sound like you are folks that tend to keep a car!) -- several folks on the forum have one and have spoken highly of them. I'll be looking for one myself when I head back home in January. Boring? Perhaps, but if you need a car that you can count on, there you go!:wink:

My mom has a Mini Cooper Countryman. They would be near the top of the price range you gave, starting at $22,100. However I think that they do look pretty stylish for a four door, and it can pack a punch when you throw it into sport mode. My dad drives the new Fiat 500L. Now that is a fun car to drive! It has the same engine as the Fiat 500 ABARTH, which he previously had, and you can feel the power that it still gives you, even in the much larger 500L. I do have to throw in that I have a little brother with autism (8 years old). He can get in and out of the Mini by himself easier, since it sits lower, but the 500L offers a little more space for the back seat passengers. BTW, the Fiat starts at $19,195. As with all cars, they both have their perks, but it depends on what values rank higher to you.
The Minis don't have very good reliability ratings, so despite their cute factor, I wouldn't go there. I rented a FIAT 500 in the UK for a couple of weeks last month and was very impressed. The long-term reliability isn't bad, but not as good as a Fit. I wasn't aware that the 500L came with the 160 HP turbo out of the Abarth!:confused:

For low cost motoring, he should avoid any new European car like the plague. MINIs have dreadful reliability ratings, for example. I think a Kia or Hyundai might fit the bill nicely.

The Veloster is useless for passengers, and as the grandkids grow, it will become even more useless. Get a 4 door sedan.
Just my opinion -- I've turned wrenches on Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, and my son-in-law's HyeonDai. I wouldn't own a Korean car. They focus on features rather than reliability and I just don't think they hold up like the Hondas and Toyotas. Again, just my opinion after working on them. The latest crop might be marginally better, but you won't know for another 10 years, so I wouldn't risk it if I were the type of person that kept cars long-term (I am!)!.:wink:

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
should mention that I also had a 2004 Corolla that I put 100K miles on it only had to replace a small piece of trim that was covered under warranty. At the end of 100K it still drove like new, everything worked and even the seats looked new. I think that is the difference. The Korean cars might go 200K, but I don't think they will do it as gracefully as the Japanese cars, and I think ultimately you will get more miles out of the Honda i.e. when you are done with it the grandkids can take over driving it! Of the cars smark posted, the Fit certainly has more utility. The 500 L also likely has more utility as well.

"The Pop is equipped with a standard 1.4-liter, I4, 160-horsepower, turbo engine that achieves 25-mpg in the city and 33-mpg on the highway. A 6-speed m transmission with overdrive is standard, and a 6-speed a transmission with overdrive is optional. The Lounge is equipped with a standard 1.4-liter, I4, 160-horsepower, turbo engine that achieves 24-mpg in the city and 33-mpg on the highway. A 6-speed a transmission with overdrive is standard." Fiat 500L - Yahoo Autos So, yes, it does come with the 160 HP turbo engine! shazaam!

"The 2013 Fit is a 4-door, 5-passenger SF, available in 5 trims, ranging from the 5-Spd MT to the Sport 5-Spd AT w/ Navigation.

Upon introduction, both trims are equipped with a standard 1.5-liter, I4, 117-horsepower engine that achieves 27-mpg in the city and 33-mpg on the highway. A 5-speed m transmission with overdrive is standard on the 5-Spd MT. A 5-speed a transmission with overdrive is standard on the Sport 5-Spd AT w/ Navigation" Honda Fit - Yahoo Autos all versions were under $20K with the base 5-sp manual going for just $15,425!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Yeah a Fit would probably be all right. The US ones are apparently still made in Japan, whereas the ones sold in Canada are made in China.

Would it get to 200K miles if the present Civic you own barely did? Hard to say.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Yeah a Fit would probably be all right. The US ones are apparently still made in Japan, whereas the ones sold in Canada are made in China.

Would it get to 200K miles if the present Civic you own barely did? Hard to say.
True dat. I'm an engineer -- I'd get 300K out of it, but everyone's mileage will vary!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
2014 Mazda3. It is slaying the media with its brilliant drivability, features, technology, fuel economy, and stunning styling. Hard to imagine a better car in this class.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/sedans/1307_2014_mazda3_first_drive/52207291/2014-Mazda3-grey-side-in-motion-02.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I had a 2007 and my son is driving it's now. No question that it's is a good-driving car, but we've had problems with the AC and the manual transmission. In 35 years of driving mostly manual transmission vehicles, it's the only one that I every had a problem with! Also I paid $12,400 for the 2007 and I heard the new ones are starting out at $19K. Also, unless you get the hatchback, which costs a couple grand more, it's has less utility.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Toyota Camry or Corolla, fine cars, or another Honda, all very dependable. I've looked into the Mini's and there are some reliability factors that the owners have been complaining about.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
For being a sporty little car. The Veloster really meets that. That extra door. Room in the rear for small kids. I did see a lot of them on the road, when they first came out.

Hyundai Elantra GT

New 2014 Madza 3

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a 2013 Veloster turbo. Not going to get into a pissyfit about if it is a good car. I can tell you that so far, no problems. The kids might like that secret door..however with the extras it did run around 25k. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1385820996.135766.jpg

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
No definitive answer to this; if it were me I'd get a hatchback just for the versatility. The Hyundai Elantra GT would be on my list, as well as the Focus and the Fit. Hope you find something. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
With a new grandchild in the house, I got tired of competing for the wife's Mountaineer with the trailer hitch so I got a used Land Rover for $700. it needed a bit of work but now I can haul kids or stuff.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
My wife got to drive a Kia Soul a few weeks ago, and completely fell in love with it. She said, even though it looks small on the outside, it's got a TON of space on the inside. They come with a 10yr/100k warranty. The one she drove was fully loaded and priced around $25k, but I think the base models start around $18k. I might be seriously interested in one if they were flat towable in automatic; which they aren't, and the manual transmission comes with a smaller engine.

·
Registered
605 Posts

But Dora is not in Canada. She's in the US where the Prius C starts at $19K. It's always been my experience that I can do better than MSRP if I shop around. How she equips it is up to her and her hubby.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts