Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked what scanner I'd like to Xmas. What's the best one for my car out there? Need quick answers, thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have an iCarsoft MB v2.0, it covers everything I've asked of it thus far. I can't say its better than anything else because I haven't tried a lot of scanners, but of the few ones I have it has been the most useful.

·
Registered
972 Posts
As a permanent fixture on the dash or mirror, I went with either scangauge or ultragauge.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So what scanners out there will let you update your car configuration, like enabling fog lights or auto headlights? Is there anything reasonable?

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,032 Posts
This ultra basic Actron can read and reset most common codes...

·
Registered
972 Posts
I had a portable Actron that I'd gotten for $28.00 Very useful as I'd take it everytime when friends needed codes read. Gave it away to a friend who had needed to reset his merc every so often...

·
Super Moderator
29,146 Posts
That's what I thought. Any clones out there that are good? Considering what the dealers seem to want to do anything these days...
I can't answer that since I don't have one. Several members do, maybe they will chime in. :)

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,858 Posts
Any clones out there that are good?
As suggested, CLONES of a STAR don’t come cheap because their functionality far exceeds that of the basic OBD readers. Most come out of China with various levels of English support and software versions???

Then again it depends on what your need is versus the budget?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I really don't know. Years ago, a forummer from Chicago (?) sold this Scangauge to me together with the mount. Said he fabricated the mount himself. It's pretty nifty. He'd bought an ultragauge and liked it more...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I really don't know. Years ago, a forummer from Chicago (?) sold this Scangauge to me together with the mount. Said he fabricated the mount himself. It's pretty nifty. He'd bought an ultragauge and liked it more...
Any chance you can post a pic of the backside of the mount? I've got mine attached with some velcro right now. Not very satisfactory.

·
Registered
972 Posts
As I remember it, he'd fabricated the bracket to the base of what looked like a phone mount. And he used EZPass velcro strips to secure it to the Scangauge ll.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts