Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2009 Passion back in March and I’m due for an oil change. I live in southern GA it is very hot and humid here most of the year. Right now our current high temps are in the 90’s so I was just curious what would be the best oil to use in my Smart for the temperatures here? I really want to use what the manufacturers recommend but it seems 0W May be a little too thin for this climate? Also I am a “do it myself” type this will be my first time ever doing any work to the car Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Best oil...

The best oil is one you bought for less than $2 a quart, that meets the MB 229.5 specification...

Don't worry about the first number, that's the viscosity when cold. Ow is thinner than 5W, etc...

Your in Georgia, so cold weather is rare,

The second number is viscosity when hot, and usually a -40 is good for the Smart.
There are some -30 weight oils, I would use a half quart to get a little thinner if I was in Canada...

Castrol Edge 0W-40, Mobil 1 0w-40 (careful, Mobil also makes a Turbo Diesel 5-40 in a similar looking jug),
and my favorite, Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 (I picked up 5 jugs for $13 each, with a $10 rebate, $3 per 5 quarts!)

Oil filter is another subject. Usual filter is a Fram 6607 / Purolator 14612, but a third longer, same base and bypass is Fram 7317 / Purolator 14610.
Fill amount becomes exactly four quarts....

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,571 Posts
I live in Jacksonville, Fl with a similar climate to you. I have had a 2009 smart Brabus coupe for a little over nine years and have never used anything but Mobile 1 0W-40 oil and Mobile 1 M-108 filter. No issues or problems with the car so far.

·
Vendor
3,596 Posts
The only time you should need to worry about that type of oil you use is under extreme conditions. A 90 degree summer is well within specs. Keep in mind that your engine operates at 195-220 degrees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts