Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a possibility that we may need a new engine on our poor Smart at only 47K. Was well maintained, no problems until it suddenly started throwing a cylinder 2 misfire and running too rough to drive. We've checked spark plugs and run through most of the steps on this forum for that error with the help of a local car guy.

Next step is compression testing, but we need to get the tester for that which we will get tomorrow. We have near zero mechanical ability. :) No mechanics near here will touch it (Upstate NY), with the exception of the stealership - and I've already read $4K quotes on this very forum.

What's the best location to look for a replacement rebuilt or used engine? We're about 50 miles from the Smart dealership so there are a few other Smarts around here. Any way to check it before actually attempting to install it? How difficult is it to install?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
You could go to the dealer and ask them for an ESKULAB (courtesy repair). Even if it doesn't happen, you should only be on the hook for diagnostic costs - which, given your lack of mechanical knowledge, would be worth paying for. These ESKULAB repairs are done sometimes, but it does help to have a good relationship with the dealer before having to ask for this. Your car is about what, 4 years old? Way too young to have any issues like that.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Only place you could get a new engine would be thru a dealer and I don't think you want to do that... The easiest thing would be a used engine from a wrecking yard... The next thing would be to have your engine rebuilt... Cost and time will help make your decision...:wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, it's a 2010 with 47K miles. :( So no warranty. We've only been to the dealer once so no relationship there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! If we can't fix it, that's the way I would go - we're about three hours from astoria, NY. I am hoping it's fixable, but.. Weird thing, it ran perfectly until we were driving it to the state inspection, then ran rough/CEL on (cylinder 2 misfire). Figures!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
smart car engine complete with 16047 miles | ebay

low mileage engine for a couple of grand. I've dealt with this guy about 9 or ten times. He's upfront and honest.
smart car complete engine with only 16047 miles ,the engine comes with wire harness,intake manifold,exhaust manifold,fly wheel,spark plugs and coils,fuel injectors,alternator,a/c compressor,all sensors,belts and pulleys,engine mount,throttley /valve body,plus air injector pump. The engine is still on the car you are welcome to come and see it run before you buy it, item location is astoria new york 11105. You can call 9172043199 with any questions,john.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I always thought Mystery Oil was good for loosing up seized engine. Might just be a dirty injector, or bad ignition coil.
I check that out first, before looking into a new engine.

Bad gas???????????

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always thought Mystery Oil was good for loosing up seized engine. Might just be a dirty injector, or bad ignition coil.
I check that out first, before looking into a new engine.
We swapped the ignition coils and had a guy come out and switch the injectors. So it's not that. The oil is there, would be nice if it worked but so far nothing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My car had a bad exhaust valve on #3 cylinder with about 52000 miles. MB put a rebuilt motor in and it is working good so far. The cost was over 2200 dollars for the labor and they gave the motor. I was just out of warranty.Your best bet would be to pick up a used motor and get a good shop to swap motors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe instead of going with rebuilding an engine, it’s better to buy used engine in good quality. Whatever your car is there are wide stocks of used engines easily available on shops like buyusedengine etc. at very affordable cost. In terms of cost and quality results, used engines better assurance too.

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
I had a coup;e of engine misfire codes come up awhile back. Changed plugs, and replaced all 3 coils. still came up occasionally. I added some Marvel Mystery Oil for a couple of tanks and I have not seen the code come up since (over 7 months now) It is worth a try.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Last car I had developed a misfire and I discovered it was one of the "coil-on-plugs", basically the coil that goes on top of the spark plug. The spark plug itself was fine. Take the coil packs off and visually inspect them for excessive corrosion especially on their insides that contact the spark plugs. If they all look fine then the problem probably isnt a coil pack. On my last car I had a couple extra coil packs so I tried swapping out each old pack, one at a time, with a new pack until swapping out one of the coil packs caused the engine to smooth out. The coil pack that I replaced had quite a bit of corrosion. Also I dont think idling your engine with a coil pack off for a short period of time will cause any damage so do the coil pack swapping with the engine idling so you can hear and feel any difference in engine operation.

With the engine idling, swap out the first coil pack with a new one. If that doesnt fix the engine running rough then put that first old coil pack back in and swap out the second coil pack with the new coil pack. Do this for each coil pack until replacing one of them fixes the rough engine operation.

I'm pretty sure idling the engine with a coil pack off for a short time wont cause damage because when I did this with my other car I didnt have any problems after I replaced the bad coil pack. Also I'm not sure but I think its smart to make sure the working coil packs go back on the same spark plugs they came off of, so remember which spark plug each coil pack came off of. From what I recall you would only need to replace the bad coil pack because they either work 100% or 0%. So if one doesnt work then you dont need to replace all of them.

·
Super Moderator
11,294 Posts
On my old Expedition, the cops went out one at a time. I ended up replacing them all eventually.

On my smart. I replaced all 3. it was cheaper than replacing the 8 on my Expedition. :bangwall:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Also I dont think idling your engine with a coil pack off for a short period of time will cause any damage so do the coil pack swapping with the engine idling so you can hear and feel any difference in engine operation.

I'm pretty sure idling the engine with a coil pack off for a short time wont cause damage because when I did this with my other car I didnt have any problems after I replaced the bad coil pack.

From what I recall you would only need to replace the bad coil pack because they either work 100% or 0%. So if one doesnt work then you dont need to replace all of them.
One needs to be careful about swapping coils with the engine running. Some engine management systems will stop activating the fuel injector when a hard ignition misfire is detected, such as when a coil is disconnected. That creates a open circuit fault. The fuel injector will not be re-enabled until the ignition is switched off and the engine restarted.

Ignition coils can develop cracks in coil body, especially the portion of the coil that goes down in the spark plug well. They will fire normally until the engine gets under a load and then when the spark voltage demand goes up the path of least resistance can be through the crack in the coil body to the cylinder head. One should always inspect for any cracks when a coil is removed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts