Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best product for cleaning up plastic areas like around the door handles? I use Meguiar's PlastX for the rest of the car but it doesn't work very well around the door handles. The plastic on the 2014 SmartFortwo that is not shiny.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have used both................

Armor All Outlast trim&plastic restorer. Also use Wipe New(rip-off pricing
but it does work).................

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
In medicine if there are 10 different treatments for a problem....it means that not one of them does what we want very well. The real answer would have been for smart to paint the darn things in the first place.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I use a product called '303'. It works great unpainted plastic, vinyl, leather, rubber, etc. It is a little pricey and not carried in most stores. I buy it at an RV/Trailer supply place. I think that boat stores also carry it.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
On the last car I owned I used Mothers Back To Black, but after several months the plastic turned a milky white. Since I have owned my car in 2008 I haven't put anything on any of the black plastic and it still looks really good. I am one that won't "restore" my black trim cause I am afraid it will look worse months later and I'll be trapped in a cycle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Has anyone thought of wrapping them in carbon fiber film? Or painting them with trim paint. As my black buddy would say, they are getting ashy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I got my Smart Gel from smart madness a year ago but didn't see it there the last time I looked. With a name like that what could be better for a smart car.
I use it on my trim but not my tires as I don't like my tires to look wet. Use Zaino tire gloss on the tires which keeps them black with no bronzing and they don't look really wet but makes them look like new.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Chemical Guys makes some great products as well. I like the idea of wrapping them or hydro dipping would work as well

1 - 15 of 15 Posts