Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first set of replacement tires. The originals lasted 50K and were great. Worst gas milage I ever had was 44mpg and probably averaged close to 48. The new tires were like dragging 4 anchors. Handled horribly. No longer fun to drive, markedly increased rolling resistance and the milage dropped to 39!

After rechecking alignment and pressure I finally had a new set put on; same make and brand (not like there is a lot of choice out there). I feel like I got my car back! First refill and I got 50mpg. I don't know if it was a problem with the construction of the tire or the rubber formula was off or what. If it hadn't happened to me personally I would never have believed quality control could be so significant with a car tire! So beware when buying replacements.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I just had a set put on my 450 and I'm going back. Something is out of whack. Incidentally, there seems to be quite a bit of added weight on the wheel. My dad was in the tire business for years. He said that wasn't a particularly good thing -- he even said some manufacturers seems to have trouble making a really round tire (I suspect that might mean that the weight is not evenly distributed around the tire). The Contis aren't the best, but they are the only thing available in the stock sizes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts