Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove our Smart home last night in about 3-5 inches of the white stuff and I gotta say she's a handfull even at 25-30mph. This is especially true when going up small hills and the tranny downshifts, then it really tries to get squirrly. I will definately be getting new rims and some Blizzaks next fall, for right now thank gawd we have the Honda Pilot.

I might add though: once home I tried her out and this is the Dounut making machine for the driveway, gotta love that short, short wheelbase !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have had a couple of heavy, wet snows in the last couple weeks and have had no trouble driving in the snow. Also, yesterday I had to drive on a mucky, wet gravel road. I had to drop the speed (which I would have in my Camry also) but did not feel like I was being pulled around any more than in another vehicle.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Don't allow the tranny to automatically downshift. Put it in manual mode and control shifting BEFORE going up small hills.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I drive an hour last night in our wonderful cleveland snow...I most of it was unplowed highway, I just stayed 30-35 and it was ok...My other car is a lotus with slicks on it, so I know the smart is a better winter car then that!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I drove on snow and ice and up hills with no problem earlier this month.
Any car is a handful in snow, this one performed better than my Toyota Avalon.

Meaux

1 - 5 of 5 Posts