Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
If you need vertical adjustment the rivet needs to be drilled out, and replaced with an expanding rivet. Instructions note a part no but it is just reference to a group of parts, DG 88. I could only find two possible expanding rivets so it is one of the two: A 000 990 54 92 or A 000 991 66 40. I couldn't really tell from the pictures which one exactly.
Vertial adjustment is already available via the one adjuster that doesn't have the rivet in it. It moves both the low and high beams at the same time. I believe in Europe the low and high beams are (vertically) adjustable individually. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the adjuster with the rivet in it isn't connected to anything on the inside of the headlight.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I was debating opening a new thread because I found the same condensation in our smart's coolant tank as in the pictures here.

Our coolant was low and I was tryng to figure out if I could use the old MB yellow coolant I had. The dealer parts guy said it is the same and that usually it is better to add straight undiluted coolant.

Anyways I was trying to remember from long, long ago Chemistry class what is happening. I finally put his suggestion and memory together. The mixture of water and coolant, if I remember correctly, is called an azeotrope. The more concentrated one, in this case water, the more the solution "acts" like that ingredient. We are getting condensation most likely because there is too much water in the mixture. I added 55/45 coolant/water mixture and hope it goes away.

·
17,390 Posts
I would not advise trying to rid the cooling system of water. The water in the coolant helps in aiding against overheating.

Condensation is caused by moisture in the air and two great temperature differences between surfaces. Because of the moisture that naturally resides in the coolant bottle, it is normal to see condensation after the engine has been running for a while.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I was debating opening a new thread because I found the same condensation in our smart's coolant tank as in the pictures here.

Our coolant was low and I was tryng to figure out if I could use the old MB yellow coolant I had. The dealer parts guy said it is the same and that usually it is better to add straight undiluted coolant.

Anyways I was trying to remember from long, long ago Chemistry class what is happening. I finally put his suggestion and memory together. The mixture of water and coolant, if I remember correctly, is called an azeotrope. The more concentrated one, in this case water, the more the solution "acts" like that ingredient. We are getting condensation most likely because there is too much water in the mixture. I added 55/45 coolant/water mixture and hope it goes away.
Not sure what this has to do with a headlight retrofit :confused:

·
17,390 Posts
He must've been looking at one of your photos on the last page (the one where you show where to mount the ballasts) as it shows your coolant bottle.

Condensation in the coolant bottle is the least of any of my worries. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
i did a retrofit on my 2008 using mini H1 projectors a few months ago and now im gonna retrofit my 2014 ED .. i ve ordered the hella projectors and will try to fit them .. after measuring it shouldn't be hard to fit in there.. not bolt on but about as close to it as it can be ..

·
Registered
163 Posts
UPDATE: the evoXR will not fit the headlight because of the bracket hitting the solenoid .. i thought that could be solved by trimming the bracket a bit but unfortunately it's not possible...

i've sent the projectors back to TRS and exchanged them for the D2S projectors ..
i will keep you updated ..

in the meantime if you have any interest in a retroquick package you can contact

[email protected]

let them know you're interested.. if there's demand they will produce a kit

·
Registered
163 Posts
hi guys! just wanted to let you know that my retrofit was successful with the mini d2s projector. it was a lot of work compared to the mini h1 conversion.. i has to trim the projector bracket and some other stuff.. it took me around 12h to complete this retrofit.. it was a pain in the butt to do but im happy with the results! i will post pictures when i get a chance

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Updates?? And, got any more info on your H1 retrofit? I put a ton of work in on trying to to this retrofit originally (not using the H1) and have up because nothing truly worked without having to modify the housing (as in find another way to close up the housing) or the projector itself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
163 Posts
Updates?? And, got any more info on your H1 retrofit? I put a ton of work in on trying to to this retrofit originally (not using the H1) and have up because nothing truly worked without having to modify the housing (as in find another way to close up the housing) or the projector itself.

i suggest not using anything bigger than a mini H1 if you dont wanna have to mess with trimming and reinforcing the oem brackets.. it was a real pain to do while the mini H1 was easy.. just had to make brackets.. and it went right in.. will try to make a pnp kit from scratch for you guys if youre interested

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
i suggest not using anything bigger than a mini H1 if you dont wanna have to mess with trimming and reinforcing the oem brackets.. it was a real pain to do while the mini H1 was easy.. just had to make brackets.. and it went right in.. will try to make a pnp kit from scratch for you guys if youre interested

The brackets are the hard part, I imagine, so that would be awesome ? Any pics of the H1 installed? How about night time pics?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts