Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came in the mail yesterday. June 2014 Motor Trend. I thought small cars were the rage now. So much for that. 625 HP Vettes, Large new Suburbans. You need something to pull that Vette with to the gas station. Big is Back! So much for smarts ad campaign.:eek:

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
As stated above, I agree. I only think a small percentage went with a small car on their last purchase. Now that people can handle $4/gallon gas they will go back to their car of choice...which is bigger.

$6/gallon gas is coming in 5 years, plan ahead.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
31 gallons of gas to fill them. Almost $70k.

I can't image 625 hp., out of a production car.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An absolute BARGAIN on a U.S. built high performance sports car that can be be purchased from and serviced by one of 900 Chevrolet dealers qualified to sell the Stingray.

I was talking about the Suburbans at that price.

The Vette is a little more. It does start in the mid 50's. That one nice car.

·
Registered
832 Posts
While this particular observation is certainly true, I don't think magazines such as Motor Trend are generally representative of the general car-buying public. They cater to an audience heavily biased to big and overpowered.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As stated above, I agree. I only think a small percentage went with a small car on their last purchase. Now that people can handle $4/gallon gas they will go back to their car of choice...which is bigger.

$6/gallon gas is coming in 5 years, plan ahead.
When I started driving gas was $0.50 a gallon. Ya, I'm as old as dirt but I doubt it will ever go down. Check out the "Peak Oil" theory and the chart below. "Big" may be back but I doubt it will be for very long.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I learned to drive in NJ during the gas wars, $.11 a gallon for regular. Anyone remember the Gulf Oil commercial "Can I have 25 cents worth of Good Gulf?"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts