Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Yes, he's critical...but it's hard to believe he survived at all !!!

Hope he makes it.

Would a coupe have held up better ???

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a coupe would have been better. Smart should just leave the structure, and have the fold back open roof.

·
17,345 Posts
Would a coupe have held up better ???
That was my question in the original thread. The Tridion Cell is explained to disperse forces throughout the entire structure like a rollcage or the hard shell of a nut. The roof section is essential to distribute the forces...

However, it isn't explained how the Tridion Cell concept compensates for the lack of the roof. We know they added additional steel (several pounds worth) to the windscreen and belly pan area, but that's about as far as they tell us.

That's not to say that the convertible smarts are unsafe, just making an observation. Please don't grab the pitchforks. :)

And of course, like kheran said, in this event just about anything smaller than that van would not be having a good day.

EDIT: Looks like the speed of the particular road in question is 40 MPH. All things considered that's a severe case for any car.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at photo's of the highway. The speed limit is 40 mph. Know matter what. It's lucky anyone could live comming out of that mess. That poor smart car is pretty twisted. I don't think to many soft tops would hold up to that type of crash. It always scares me on little 2 lane highways, with any of my small cars.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
That was my question in the original thread. The Tridion Cell is explained to disperse forces throughout the entire structure like a rollcage or the hard shell of a nut. The roof section is essential to distribute the forces...

However, it isn't explained how the Tridion Cell concept compensates for the lack of the roof. We know they added additional steel (several pounds worth) to the windscreen and belly pan area, but that's about as far as they tell us.

For all we know, this crash could've been at 55+ MPH, in which even a coupe would be in trouble.
A large 4,500 lb van likely traveling at 45-50 MPH collides head-on with a much smaller 1,800 lb smart with little crush zone - smaller car and occupant(s) will likely take the brunt of the collision but thankfully the smart cabrio had a Tridion Cell.

Yes, the cabrio does have additional steel reinforcement to include the rear overhead brace and the coupe might have fared better but once again the strength of the walnut shell like Tridion may have saved another life?

Head-on collisions are often fatal yet 2005 U.S. statistics show that while head-on crashes were only 2.0% of all crashes they accounted for 10.1% of fatal crashes.

Unfortunately life does not come with any guarantees - tomorrow is a gift. Sure you try to limit your exposure which is why we choose to own a smart cabrio (top back, rails removed) instead of a H-D.

·
17,345 Posts
Ditto, can't argue with that assessment. And all things considered (smark's findings of it being a 40 MPH road) that van took some heavy damage from the little smart.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The pictures here are unbelievable. A few thoughts and observations.

I always hope any victim of an accident is fortunate enough for a speedy recovery.

Props to the news outlet for not putting "Smart" in the headline of the article.

I will not be removing the roof pillars for highway trips if I ever get that 453 Cabrio.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
I will not be removing the roof pillars for highway trips if I ever get that 453 Cabrio.
As a cabrio owner since 2008 I knew from day one that, while there are no warning labels, there is no structural integrity provided by the plastic, spring loaded removable roof rails.

With or without the rails in place, the Tridion distortion in this accident would have been the same as the side rails would have popped out on impact.

It's like those who ask what the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety roof strength is for a cabrio? While not tested, it is LESS than that of a coupe as it is a convertible and BY DESIGN some strength/integrity has been compromised?

That being said, the smart cabrio is likely one of the more "safe" small convertibles being built today?

smart coupe Tridion Strength Test

·
17,345 Posts
For me at least, I think any safety tradeoff is offset by the open air experience. My next smart will be a cabrio! :D

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fiat, and Opel left the structures in their city car soft tops. You still get the open car feeling.

·
Registered
493 Posts
NO CONVERTIBLE , TRUE CONVERTIBLE will fair well in an accident as this, the SMART faired well considering its SIZE and force of impact.

Having owned many convertibles, large and small, i would choose a SMART over any I have had for a situation like this if it ever came up..

Avoidance is the key, the Smart will out maneuver (will the proper driver) and get out of it before it happens..

·
17,345 Posts
Sorry, but a retractable soft top is not same as the smart cabrio with rails removed - totally different look and feel.
This is what I dislike about the Fiat 500C. And after riding in one, it's a huge letdown. Yes, there is open air above you...but there are also two huge rails above your head that give you the feeling that it's just a big sunroof.

I'll pass on a design like that...

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, but a retractable soft top is not same as the smart cabrio with rails removed - totally different look and feel.
Actual a Miata, VW beetle C, or Mini have a true open air feel soft tops. Removing those 2 trim pieces really don't add up to anything. You still have those 2 large smart B panels blocking your rear. It still a retractable top too. I'm for structure safety. That's just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.