Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yakima bike rack for 2 on my 2008 Smart car. I want to know how to raise the suspension; I don't want to bottom out anyplace. Any ideas? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I did the same and the swagman sits up high enough that the bottom of the bike wheels rides about the level of the bottom of the bumper of the smart. Plenty of clearance. The upright pivots over to remove the bike closest to the back of the car and enables the tailgate to be opened fully over the folded upright clamping post. Reasonably priced, too.
There are three versions available based on how heavy duty the bike rack needs to be. The least expensive, lightest weight version is perfect for the smart and would suit any bike transporting purpose I would ever have including trips.
On a Brabus, the locking pins do heat up in the exhaust stream. Just be aware. They have never been so hot as to burn me, but my trips are short. I would think exhaust extensions attached to the bike rack, spaced just a little behind the Brabus exhaust would funnel the exhaust behind and below the rack and its' locking pins.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is NO problem with the rack hitting the ground, the problem is, there is only 7" from the ground to the center of the receiver. With the added weight of the 2 electric bikes and the Yakima rack, now the receiver is only 3" from the ground and hits going over speed bumps and the security bump at the gate of our park.
I thought the extra 2" might solve the problem?
Fred

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
If you are loosing 4" of ground clearance I would tend to believe you are exceeding the maximum weight carrying capacity on the rear of the car... Are you looking at the sky while driving with the back end down that far???

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The stiffer Brabus springs on my smart never get that close to the ground, but I virtually stop for speedbumps, with or without the bicycles to prevent losing roundness of rims,..... AND TEETH. :D

How much is the total weight you are putting on that Curt hitch? It would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the above linked swagman rack on my smart. My curt hitch, unloaded, sits about 4 1/2 inches from the ground to the lowest point on the hitch. with me in the car and a mountain bike AND a bmx bike on the rack I've never had an issue.

To the question at hand though... how much do those bikes weigh, and what is the weight of the rack system? I have to agree with Barney. If you're losing that much height, you are WAY overloading the car and have bigger issues than scraping on a speedbump. Do you have a pic of this thing loaded up?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts