Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at a used 2009 Passion Convertible and I was hoping someone could offer some advise or suggestions.

It has Crystal White panels and some of them have a few black "scuff" marks. They aren't scratches - just black colored marks on the surface, but they don't rub off with your finger. The dealer thought they might come off with a buffing wheel, but since it's not at a Smart Center, I didn't know if that was a good idea or not.

The car has all of the features I want and is low mileage, it even has a color scheme that I like. It just has these marks on a lot of the panels and I don't really want to buy it if they won't come off. I'm going to take the car to the local Smart Center on Monday so they can check it over before I buy it. I can always ask them, but in the meantime, I thouht someone on the forum might have some advice. I know that I can always change the panels, but I really hadn't planned on doing that.

I did a quick search on the forum before I posted this, but I really didn't see anyhting. If I over looked something or just missed it, please forgive me.

Thanks,

Allen

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,102 Posts
My car had white panels on it when I bought it new. At one point, there was a scuff mark on one of the front panels like a piece of rubber or something had glanced off, but didn't do any damage. A little "aggressive" waxing removed the mark, so that might be all yours needs. :) But, it's a good idea to check it out to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Welcome to our site. Don't let those scuff marks deter you. Use them to your advantage when negotiating price.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kit Scratch Out. I'm not really one to give endorsements but this stuff really works, and I've used it on all my cars. Last year my white Volvo had a "little" :wink: meet and greet with a black board fence. It left with a dent and a patch of black paint about 5 inches by 8 inches as it slid off the fender to the hood. About 20 minutes worth of work and it was totally off. Its like 3 bucks at your local big box store and really is the best thing i've used for the money, as long as you don't go through the clear :p. Disclaimer: I haven't used it on my smart yet but I wouldn't for see any issues. Good luck :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the advice!

I really do appreciate all of the great advice and the warm welcome. I was hoping that someone on the forum had experienced a similar problem and would have a solution.

As I said, this car has everything on it that I wanted plus power steering and I would hate to have some marks spoil it. It sounds like the service manager at the Smart Center should probably be able to take care of them for me. He said he owns 3 Smart Fortwos and offered to check the car out for me if I brought it by.

Hopefully, by Monday afternoon all the marks will be history.

Allen

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just picked up a white one that had a few marks on the rear bumper. Some not so gentle wiping with a spray detailer took them right out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts